During the summer months, Brett was lucky enough to have a clinical rotation in Blackfoot, Idaho. This was a great place for him to be. He got to see a lot of action at the hospital and the people were great to work with. The Nurse Anesthetist in charge even rented out a house for Brett to stay in for the 3 months he was there. It was a cute little place and just perfect for him.
It was also a perfect place for us to come stay with him! So, we loaded up the van and headed up to the great state of Idaho. It was a beautiful, hot summer day.
We were enjoying great music and a great car ride. Then I heard something on KSL. It said, "There have been reports of the freeway being shut down at the UT/ID state line. We have no further details on this story."
Great. Just my luck. Seriously.
No further details.
Oh well, what could I do? I was still about 2 hours away from that point in my trip and I was hoping that by the time we made it up that way, the mess would be cleared up.
Two hours later........
We came to an absolute standstill.
Rats!
I thought, ok. We'll move in a bit.
No moving at all.
After about 15 minutes of no moving, I called Brett and had him get me the Malad City Police Department phone number. I needed to find out what was going on and what the hold up was.
I talked to a lady named Sandy. She told me that 6 hours earlier that day, a propane truck had crashed and leaked everywhere. They were still in the cleaning stage, but traffic was being diverted to the frontage road.
Ok. We should be up and moving in a bit.
15 minutes later, we hadn't moved at all. I called the lady back. She told me while they had diverted traffic to the frontage road, a semi truck carrying food had tipped there and food was everywhere.
That road was also closed.
Huh??
We were stuck.
So, after being totally bugged and ornery (and Brett talking me down off the edge, we decided to make the best of it.
Here is the first picture I took. I didn't take any pictures of the freeway back up. I was too bugged.
We had finally made if to the frontage road-- 1 mile away from where we had stopped-- after TWO HOURS!
| See that long stretch of road up there with no cars on it? THAT is the freeway. |
| Here we are on the frontage road. |
| Kids are all smiles. Kenna is under her blankie playing the Game Boy |
| Peek-a-boo! |
| Semi being trucked out |
| Tipped trailer |
| How many Idaho state workers does it take to move a trailer? (Just kidding-- no offense) |
Here is the beautiful moon as we were driving later that night. I was grateful to have arrived safely to be with my dear husband and to have good kids and a working car.
1 comment:
I love your new picture with the fam... so cute!
Post a Comment