Lately, Brett and I have been worried about the direction our country is going. We are so far away from the principles our country was founded on. I do not think the Constitution is a living breathing thing that changes as the times change. It is absolute. It is what the people in our country should live by and the people who are leading our country should lead by.
So, I took a stand.
I want to do something about things, instead of just complaining about things.
This was my first ever protest. I was a little nervous about it, and especially to take the kids. But, I knew I could just leave if things go out of hand. So, we took a chance.
Wednesday morning, I had a good talk with the kids about the Boston Tea Party. When I first told them we were going to a tea party, they got all excited and asked what to wear! I felt a little bad about dashing their excitement for a tea party. But then I explained to them we were protesting the governing leaders in America. (And no, I'm not just talking about Obama and the democrats. There are plenty of republicans that I was protesting, too.) I taught them about the first tea party and why they were protesting back then. Then I told them our reasons for wanting to protest now. We talked about the debt we are incurring and how the Fed just pumped 1 trillion dollars into the system to buy debt from our treasury. What does that mean? How can you do that? We are borrowing money from ourselves to pay ourselves for programs we can't afford. They have lowered interest rates as low as they can and this was a last-ditch effort. The light bulb flicked on in Connor's head and he said, "Mom, if I wanted more money, I couldn't just go to the printer and print some for myself, right? That would be dishonest, right?" He got it. They created that money out of thin air...
I found a computer program online that will show you really how much 1 trillion is. The kids were shocked!!!
I am concerned about health care. I don't want socialized medicine. Other places have tried it and it doesn't work. Do you know what most public school systems are like? How about the post office? How about the DMV? Do you like going to any of these places? Do you try to avoid them at all costs, if you can? Government run places and programs really aren't that great and when it comes to my health and the health of my family, I want only the best. That is why people come to America for medical care. Seriously. Socializing medicine is not a good thing.
I want to be able to have a gun in my home. I want to be able to afford to buy bullets. I don't want to be taxed through the nose when buying bullets.
I don't want to pay more taxes. I know that hasn't happened yet, but I think it's coming. Why not have everyone pay a flat tax rate? Just like tithing? It works for Him, why not the government?
Speaking of our money that we earn, I don't want to be FORCED to give it to people. I choose to be charitable and to give generously. But, I do not want to be forced to give it to people. A lot of whom choose to not work, chose to buy things they cant afford and to waste the money they do have. I think giving money to people like that takes away their desire to work. It takes away the initiative; their drive; it takes away the drive to be better and do better. It takes away the drive to be the best. That leads to less innovation, less prosperity...it's just a downward spiral.
I made it very clear to the kids that this was not an anti-Obama protest. I don't care who the president is, if they were taking the country in this same direction, I'd feel the exact same way and be doing the exact same thing. No joke.
So, it's time to take a stand.
We made signs for each kid to hold. Some of our sayings were:
- Armed and dangerous...WITH MY VOTE!
- DC: The longer you stay, the less you remember about us
- 3 Simple Words: WE THE PEOPLE
- Debt is the problem; how can it be the solution, too?
- Don't spread my wealth; spread my work ethic
- Equal opportunity; not equal distribution
- Honest change for America: The Constitution
It's funny. The media didn't really cover the tea parties fairly. I saw one lady from CNN interview a dad with a toddler and he stated why he was there. She cut him off and said, "This is anti-CNN, anti-Obama and this is just not family viewing...." It was ridiculous! A lot of the media said the campaigns were anti-Obama, even KSL said that. But they were not anti-Obama at all.
The main-stream media was very biased. The LA Times had an interesting article. It said, "If you want to know how to get ready for one of these tea parties, go by some glue and sniff it. They said those who were going were "Steeped in insanity". The Washington Post called me a "Nut-job."
Also, I just learned that last Tuesday night I went to bed a stay-at-home-mom, and woke up Wednesday morning as an extremist. The Department of Homeland Security put out a report on Right Wing Extremists. This would include people who are against abortion, against gay marriage, for the right to bear arms. I think if this were the other way around, and those who were pro-choice and for gay marriage were classified as extremists, the ACLU would have already filed a suit against the government and we'd still be hearing about it today!
Actually, the tea party was really a great experience. It was very inspiring and uplifting. There was no shouting or yelling (except the chanting of U - S - A, U - S - A !!!!!). There were no 'crazies' there (which I was grateful for). The speakers were very uplifting and kind. The people who were there were just normal, everyday people like me and all very nice. I was very impressed.
I am so glad I went. I look forward to attending more in the future. I want to make a difference and teach my children that little efforts by normal people can change the world.
The main-stream media was very biased. The LA Times had an interesting article. It said, "If you want to know how to get ready for one of these tea parties, go by some glue and sniff it. They said those who were going were "Steeped in insanity". The Washington Post called me a "Nut-job."
Also, I just learned that last Tuesday night I went to bed a stay-at-home-mom, and woke up Wednesday morning as an extremist. The Department of Homeland Security put out a report on Right Wing Extremists. This would include people who are against abortion, against gay marriage, for the right to bear arms. I think if this were the other way around, and those who were pro-choice and for gay marriage were classified as extremists, the ACLU would have already filed a suit against the government and we'd still be hearing about it today!
Actually, the tea party was really a great experience. It was very inspiring and uplifting. There was no shouting or yelling (except the chanting of U - S - A, U - S - A !!!!!). There were no 'crazies' there (which I was grateful for). The speakers were very uplifting and kind. The people who were there were just normal, everyday people like me and all very nice. I was very impressed.
I am so glad I went. I look forward to attending more in the future. I want to make a difference and teach my children that little efforts by normal people can change the world.
14 comments:
I couldn't have said it better myself! Way to go! It's nice to hear about someone actually teaching their children about the history of this country and how it can help us today.
Good for you, my sister and her family went to the Idaho Falls tea party.
WOw cami, I can't be more with you, it really is so scary how this country is falling to pieces..but you know what it says the constitution will hang by a thread, and what a scary thought that is. You are such an amazing mother to teach your kids about the country those are the people who make a difference in the world (the ones who had parents like you) I think it is so important for all of us to take a stand like you did, I would love to go to something like this next time you go! THanks for standing up for your beliefs.
I hope you don't mind me commenting. I saw your blog address on facebook! I loved this post, you put into words just what I think!! Thanks for being such an example. I love the pictures of your kids - so cute. Missed visiting with the twins at church yesterday - they are the cutest kids ever!!
AMEN!!!!!!
I want to go to a tea party! How do you find out about it? You are awesome, way to be Cami!
I couldn't agree with you more! Well said...
What an example to your children. I must say it does feel good to take a stand as we have had our own tests here in CA. Bravo Rush family :-)
that is awesome that you went and took your kids. i saw on the Bill O'Reilly show the replay of that crazy CNN reporter. she didn't sound professional at all. she made a fool of herself. it seems like everyone i saw on the news at all the tea parties were normal families and such, and its obvious it was a demonstration of patriotism, so its too bad that the media made everyone sound like crazy people and extremists. If people watching were really paying attention, they would see its just not true.
I agree with your concerns! Jason and I have been talking more and more about this kind of stuff - especially since, living in Illinois, corrupt politics is biting you in the face everday. I am still in the process of educating myself about issues, and figuring out how I want to stand up. I wish there was a way to stand up for what you believe that would get you listened to, instead of labeled as a extremist and a radical. Maybe eliminate the media? Maybe i AM a radical! Way to stand up for yourself, though!
Thank you, thank you for sharing! My thoughts exactly and a huge reason why I started my "political" blog which is more a freedom blog. I wanted to go to the tea party, but with a sick 2 year old it was a no go. And yeah I was very mad at the coverage by the media. I am so glad there are other people who are also teaching their children about the Constitution because as Ezra Taft Benson said that is where the Constitution will be saved is in the home.
I LOVE those quotes, particularly the spread the work ethic one. Can I hijack that and make a bumper sticker with it!!!! I live in the belly of the beast, we need something on the car to get the liberals blood boiling. You should have seen the number of flip offs, cut offs, and near crashes with our Yes on 8 Signs. Absoultely amazing!
I LOVE those quotes, particularly the spread the work ethic one. Can I hijack that and make a bumper sticker with it!!!! I live in the belly of the beast, we need something on the car to get the liberals blood boiling. You should have seen the number of flip offs, cut offs, and near crashes with our Yes on 8 Signs. Absoultely amazing!
Cami, you are amazing. You are an amazing mother. As always, I wish I could be a fly on your wall to see how you do it. I just can't say enough about how impressed I am with my dear cousin and how much I need to follow her example.
Post a Comment