You just have to know Makenna.
She has not always been the hardest of workers in our family. It wasn't uncommon for her to 'excuse' herself in the middle of a job the kids had been given to complete together. She had to "go to the bathroom" or had to "get a drink." She'd be gone FOREVER! We all know what she was doing, right? We've all done that as kids, I think. So, in hopes to have her turn out better than I did, I usually excuse the boys, and let her finish the job herself, instead of working with everyone. My reasoning is to help her see that sticking it out and doing it together is much better than doing it yourself. And if you try to skimp out on your part of the job, then you're gonna do it yourself. (I know, mean mom....) Anyway, this is not the case, anymore.
Kenna is now our hardest worker. Seriously, it almost happened overnight. She works the hardest and the longest! She even does work with out being asked, and with a smile! She loves to work! She even helps the boys have a good attitude while working.
You may ask, "How did this happen?"
We did too.
We sat down with Makenna and asked reminded her of her days of loathing work and then pointed out how great she's doing now. She said it all goes back to this night:

Brett and Makenna working together, side-by-side. Brett had ordered a TON of little gravel to make a pathway through our garden and to fill up this nasty looking area in the above picture and get it ready to pour some concrete. Brett needed to get it from the driveway to this area. He had been at work for an hour or 2 after dinner one day and it didn't even make a dent in the pile of gravel. It still looked the same to me. The next day, he went out again. This time Makenna decided to go help him. I don't know what inspired her to do that. Neither of the boys went out to help and Brett didn't ask for it, but she went out. They worked until the sun went down and Makenna worked like a horse! Seriously, she didn't take any 'breaks' or quit, they worked till it was done. She must have had a lot of fun with her daddy, because now, she is the hardest worker we have! I am so proud of her! What a good girl! Hopefully some of this rubs off on the boys, too!

8 comments:
We are having that same problem with Annie. Guess it is time to be the "mean mom". I'm willing to try anything if it will work! (and get her to work!) Great job McKenna.
That is so great! She is such a sweet thing! I will have to use your "mean mom" tactics with my kids, cause we are still struggling with this!
You've probably already seen the picture that she drew in sharing time today... it's of her working with her Dad building the play house. SO CUTE! I was the only girl growing up too and I know that I LOVED the chance to hang out with my Dad - even if it was working. Way to go Makenna!!
Way to go Makenna! You are such a great worker!
I was wondering where you were! I'm glad you're back to blogging. Cute posts!
Okay, that is one of the cutest things I have ever seen. Love that girl!
What a great little worker...and beautiful all the while working! Wow!
Wow -- those pictures are look so familiar! I remember my dad and the pouring concrete scene. But I never, ever, EVER helped him with it! Makenna is amazing!
Post a Comment