Wednesday, March 17, 2010

He's In!

Brett is officially a 2nd Lieutenant in the United States Air Force!

I can't believe I am actually writing that.

My husband is a member of the United States Air Force.

My family is part of the United States Military.

I am proud.

A few weeks ago, Brett was officially commissioned into the Air Force. They officers in charge asked Brett if he had anyone in mind to perform the ceremony. We had no idea that we could choose who performed the ceremony. Apparently, the Air Force allows you to use a family member or friend to read the oath, but they have to have been a commissioned military officer.

Brett's maternal grandfather was a Naval Captain. Captain Louis Kent Payne.

Brett chose him to perform the ceremony.


Here is the official oath: "I, having been appointed a second lieutenant in the United States Air Force, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter, so help me God."

Here we are putting on Brett's shoulder rankings. Since he doesn't have an official uniform until he's graduated, they have you put these ones on. It really adds a lot. It kind of took my breath away when I saw him like that.





Brett and I with Brett's parents and grandfather.

Brett and I with my parents.

I wanted to thank all our wonderful family and friends who came to support us. We had quite a large group come to this ceremony and it was wonderful to have that kind of support. This is going to be a wonderful adventure, and I also know it will be challenging, too. I am so thankful to have supportive friends and family who love us so much. We couldn't do this with out you!

13 comments:

Brian said...

What an awesome family I am part of! Congrats and good luck with all of these changes.

Andrea Holley said...

Congratulations! I am proud of all of you. This will be an amazing journey for your family. I can't wait to hear more about it all.

BECKY said...

I must be feeling very patriotic (or very pregnant) but reading that oath brought tears to my eyes. How great to serve our country!

Amy said...

We are so excited for you guys! What a Grand Adventure! Thanks for serving our country! You are and will be great examples to many!

kitty said...

ps - I'm so glad Grandpa could do that.

kitty said...

Oh WOW!! I would feel proud too! (and nervous to be honest) ;)

Jessica said...

Congrats to Brett! Even though I know this is super scary and new for all of you, but I know things will work out well. Good luck!

kim said...

This is awesome, Cami! Hope you don't mind if I keep my fingers crossed that you get stationed in Ohio!

Love the picture of Grandpa swearing Brett in. Some of my favorite guys :)

Natalie in Sparks said...

Wow that's awesome!Congratulations Brett! This will definitely be a change for you guys, but I am proud of you.
SO, he got to have the ceremony at a church? Is that usual, or did you get special permission?

Teri said...

How exciting! Can't wait to see where you'll end up when Brett is done with school. You and Brett will be great missionaries and examples when you move out of state. It's been neat so far to live out of state again. It almost feels like I'm back in California again. Hope we can have some missionary experiences while we are here. We sure miss you guys though!

thebugspot said...

congrats guys! i'm so proud of you Brett! best wishes.

Carrick family said...

Wow, that is a really neat experience!! You guys are good people and everyone admire you guys!! Cute family! We will miss you guys for sure if you move away!

Mark and Colette said...

WOW I had no idea that is what they did when you are sworn in! That was awesome that Brett had his grandfather do it. It brought tears to my eyes. I am proud of you and Brett for your commitment to God, country and family. Go RUSHES!! Love Colette