WARNING: LONG POST WITH LOTS OF PICTURES AND A FUNNY STORY
I didn't think we'd be taking a trip like this any time soon....atleast for the next year or two. With Brett in school and not working, the vacation fund is a little bit low.
Ok, it's non-existent.
This trip was not part of 'the plan.'
So, when my dad asked if we wanted to join him and our extended family on a trip to California, I was pretty hesitant about going, but my mom and dad so generously offered to pay for all the kids lodging, I couldn't refuse!
This trip, however, would be more than just a trip for good old California fun.
This trip was about saving souls.
My grandpa, my grandma and my dad and his siblings.
Both of my dad's parents passed away last year. My grandpa wasn't a member of the church. My grandma and grandpa we not sealed in the temple and my dad and his siblings were not sealed to his parents.
It has been about a year since my grandpa passed away. As a family, we decided to provide him with the opportunity to accept the temple blessings and to be sealed to his family.
What a great reason to visit sunny California!
The only drawback would be that Brett would not be able to come with us. He had finals the days we would be gone!!! Boo-hoo!
On the way down, we stopped at our favorite bargain-hotel-with-a-roller coaster, Buffalo Bills. The most I've every paid for a room there is $28. It's just like any Motel 6-- it's clean and the A/C works, it has a nice pool, and......let's see.......that's about it!
Little Jaxson got to celebrate his birthday while we were on our trip. Here, Makenna and McKay are"helping" Jaxson open his presents in the dining hall at Buffalo Bills.
FYI- I do not recommend the evening buffet. Not that great.
The kids in a trans watching TV on our new DVD player in our new van. The kids were so excited about this feature in our new car! They couldn't wait to test it out. Much to their dismay, I made the rule that in order to watch the DVD, the trip had to be more than 6 hours. This trip finally qualified! They were in "the zone."
Finally out of "the zone" and able to enjoy eachother, Harry Potter on CD, and our surroundings.
My Grandparents grave stone
Connor up a tree at the cemetary.
We decided to go to the Newport Temple. One of the reasons we did is because all of our extended family was staying in Newport Beach at a beautiful place called Newport Costal Villas, by Marriott. Let me tell you, these places were NICE!!!! Slept us all totally comfortably. Very clean and very upscale; very nice pools and lots to see and do. I had no idea the neighborhood of Newport Beach was so exclusive. You are hard-pressed to find any type of fast food or big box store there. We tried to find a Walmart or a Target and our GPS systems found one about 7 miles away, but ended up leading us on a wild goose chase!
This brings me to a story some would call.........funny.
I, however, find it quite embarrassing.
We set out on a quest for goods for our families. GPS in hand, we thought we had it made! To our utter disappointment, we ended up lost on a CA freeway. The freeways in California are not like UT freeways: one, straight, wide road running either north and south or east and west. I have been to California plenty of times, but let me tell you, visiting there doesn't give you any sense of direction for their freeway system. You simply have to live there and learn it.
So, we were lost for about 1 hour trying to find a non-existent (we found that out later) Wal-mart and/or an existing (but very well hidden) Target. Finally, after driving around trying to follow my iphone directions and Kim's Droid's directions, we just decided to head home. We located our destination on the GPS and then started following the directions home. We got on a freeway and felt pretty good about where we were going. After a few miles, 'Toll Ahead' signs started to show up.
Crud.
How much would the toll be?
50 cents? $1? $5?
We had no idea...and the smallest bill we (KIM) had was a $20. I had a few quarters....Alyssa had some dimes.......What to do, what to do? Veer off this freeway to another random freeway and take our chances that our GPS would be able to "recalculate" and send us on our way back home?
Or stay on the freeway, hoping that we'd have enough change to make it through the toll?
We decided to stay on because we had had enough of being lost.
The freeway was eerily not busy. It was only 9:30....but we were in Newport. They don't drive that late at night. They're all at their mansions or condo's partying the night away, or taking a stroll on the beach.
Not driving around trying to find a Wal-mart.
Only tourists do that.
So, we slowed down and drove for a few minutes, and sure enough, straight ahead, was the toll booth. We saw the toll fee.....
It's 2 dollars.
Ok. I have quarters, Alyssa has dimes.
Total sum? We have $1. 50.
That is it.
Wait!!! Kim has a $20-bill, but they don't take any bills bigger than a $5 dollar-bill.
The booth is automated and they don't take debit cards or checks.
Ummmmmm........what to do, what to do????
To the left of the fee area, I see a warning sign stating if I skip the toll I will receive a $100 fine.
Ok, that is not an option.
What to do, what to do??!!!
After about 2 minutes of sitting there, stumped, not knowing how to get out of this, a super-nice, silver Mercedes pulls up behind us.

It reminded me of one of the Cullen's cars.
In a matter of about 10 seconds I realized I'm going to have to approach that car. I'm going to have to talk to whoever is driving that car.
Funny? No.
Embarrassing? Yes.
Oh well. My motto is, "It never hurts to ask."
At that point, I know the other driver was probably wondering what the problem was and wondering why I'm was not proceeding through the toll station. This was a small freeway and only one lane to pay the toll through. So, I slowly got out of the car. I walked back to the nice Mercedes and the window began to roll down. A very nice looking man was behind the wheel. I told him of our predicament and how we were lost and without enough change to pay the toll. He asked if he can help. "Are you even supposed to be on this road?" He said. "I'm not sure...." I responded. He then gave me a dollar and said, "I wish I could help you get to where you need to go." I mumbled something dumb, profusely thanked him for his kindness, paid the toll and sped away.
We exited the freeway hoping to get home another way. No such luck. As far as we could tell (which isn't that far) taking that freeway was the only way to get home. We'd have to pay another 2 dollars to get home. So we found a local Vons, bought what we originally set out to get and got some cash dollars for the toll. We went back the way we came, got home and told our tale to our family. By then, the funniness of the situation had set in and I could laugh about it.
Arch at the Newport Temple
Tyler and Alyssa in front of the temple.
Temple from the street
My cute mom
I am really disappointed that we didn't take pictures of all of us at the temple. We had a wonderful day and the Spirit was very strong. It was an experience I will always remember and cherish.
McKay ready to hit the pool! I think the pool was the funnest part of the vacation for the kids.
The fam hanging at The Strand beach in Dana Point. Remember all those cool tide pools we saw at our January visit? They're gone!!! Tide was too high and they weren't even visible!
Connor being a cheese ball!
McKay playing in the sand with X.
Thank you mom and dad and extended Bell family for a WONDERFUL trip! We love you all!
And thanks to Alyssa for driving with me and keeping me awake!
5 comments:
Too bad we didn't have longer with you guys!! That story is hilarious, I always wondered what would happen if I accidentally got on a toll road out there!
We have ended up on the same toll road and scrambled around...there is a way around...for next time :) Good to see you all!!
That looks sooo much fun!!! I totally love Newport Beach!! Sam and I went there for a session two years ago and it is so beautiful inside! Cute pictures of kids!
Love the post!!! I HATE that Toll road. After many trips to Newport, I finally know how to get around it. My mom always makes a stop at Costco in Irvine on the way in. It was good to see you guys. Wish we could have hung out with ya. Let's get together soon! I posted on Facebook about a cousin dinner. Let me know!!
HAHAHAHA...way to bring that memory back :). I STILL think that Walmart existed, it was just a PRIVATE Walmart in a gated community.
We had a blast with you guys! The only downside to a trip like that is when my kids have to go through withdrawals from being with their fun cousins all weekend!
Post a Comment