Life in Texas has been really good to us. We are all adjusting well to this place we now call home. Our ward has been super friendly and wonderful. The first Sunday we were there, the Elder's Quorum president invited our family over for a Super Bowl Party. We went and had a great time and met some great people. The second week, some really nice people invited us and another couple over for dinner. I was so shocked, and so happy to have such friendly, nice people.
Our ward is a great mix of everything: we have many converts, many transplants from Utah, many older people and many younger people. There are lots of military people and lots of medical-military people. The thing that surprised me is that all the military people are just like me. I guess I need to start classifying us as a military family-- we just don't seem to fit the stereotype I had in my mind. And neither to they. They are all just normal people and families like us. I am pretty humbled by all these wonderful people and their families who serve medically in the military.
This is our first super humid day. Come to find out, most days are "super" humid. It's just the norm, here. This is what humidity does to Makenna's already curly hair. I just gets cuter.
 |
| Look at those ringlets! |
 |
| Here we are at Chuy's-- a yummy mexican place here in San Antonio. (Shar, please don't mind the horrible photo skills here. I didn't notice the big, red, shiny cup was right in the front of that picture! Hideous!) |
 |
| Don't ask me what McKay is doing here......Not sure. |
 |
| This is a picture of our church. It is the Stake Center. |
 |
| Here we are at the River Walk. No, that is not bird poop in my hair, I am wearing a headband! |
 |
| This is the Spanish Governor's Palace, built in the 1700's. We went inside and were sung to by these guys: |
A Mariachi church choir! It was awesome!
 |
This little guys was hanging out in our attic!
|
 |
| He wanted to show us that he was a friend, not a foe. |
 |
| The kids loved playing with him before we set him free. |
Things have been wonderful here. We sure do miss Saratoga Springs, our family and our friends, but we know this is where we are supposed to be and are having experiences that are making us better.
5 comments:
Love Kennas hair! Beautiful girl. Also, the gecko looks fun. Do you see lots of them? Does Tiggs like them? Looks like you are having a great time falling in love with Texas!
How did I not know you already moved! I'm bummed we didn't all get together before you left. I hope you guys get settled in, and have fun in Texas!
Her ringlets are GORGEOUS!! I'm so glad that you are doing well. What am I saying?! Of course you are, you are you. That is why I love you to pieces! My kids are jealous of your little green pet!
Cami I didn't realize that you guys were relocating to Texas. What an adventure - especially with a cat. We brought our cat halfway across the country as well. Not fun at all!
I am so happy to hear that you are in a great place with the potential to make lots of friends! (sounds like you aren't wasting any time!)
Your home looks beautiful, and the year round warm weather is going to be a recreational paradise! (lots of swimming during the summer)
How long will you be staying in Texas? Is this a temporary adventure or a long term arrangement?
I have really been struggling with our move to Minnesota. There is no disputing the beauty of the area or the fact that I know we are supposed to be here. I find however that our biggest challenge may be adjusting to the ward. We are the only active young couple in the area. The ward consists mostly of elderly and quite a few new converts. It turns out that there are 400 members in the area, but only 75 come to church each Sunday.
Most Sundays I run around helping wherever I am needed and we have the missionaries over for dinner weekly so they are sure to be fed.
Obviously we are needed, but we really miss the social opportunities we experienced in Idaho! We do have a very sweet neighbor. She is in her 60s and keeps an eye on us.
We live in such a rural community that we don't enjoy the benefits of a neighborhood. In fact, the homes across the street from us are currently vacant because they are owned by snow birds that only come back to Brainerd in the summer.
As with any move, it will just take some time to get adjusted. I hope you all adjust well to your new home town!
Did the kids do okay with a midyear school change? My girls cried every day for the first two weeks. Things are getting better. Although, Kamber still sits alone at lunch time, but has found that reading keeps her mind off of being friendless. (poor thing)
Tell the family hello. Hopefully our paths will cross in the near future.
hugs
joce
Oh how I miss you guys!! I love to see your cute house with all your stuff in it! You have lots of room! I love your new paintings! So fun to talk to you today!
xoxo,
Natalie
Post a Comment