Friday, March 2, 2012

Saratoga Springs, it Was Wonderful.

*Note to the reader:


This is an extremely personal, sappy post. Lots of pictures of friends and personal notes about those friends. These pictures were taken at a little gathering of close friends. This post may bore you, but I do this blog for my own benefit, for my family, for my posterity!


I have many wonderful friends in Saratoga Springs. It would have been a huge and exhausting farewell party for all to come. 


This is a sampling of the wonderful people I've lived with for the past 6 years. I am grateful to ALL of you from Saratoga. Just because you're not pictured below, doesn't mean I didn't appreciate you and your friendship and learn from you. 




We have the most wonderful friends.

Really. It's true.


The week before we left, our dearest friends gave us a good-bye party of sorts. This was to be the same day as my last day working at the temple. It was a hard day, to say the least. That morning as I was getting ready for the day, and anticipating all that was going to be happening, it was almost more emotion than I could take. I had to wash off my makeup and then reapply my mascara because of all the tears. Saying goodbye to these people has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. These are some of the best people the world has to offer and I've been surrounded by them for 6 years.

How do you say goodbye to that?


This is Amy. One of my dearest friends. Her son, Asher,  is Connor's best friend. I have learned some great lessons from this woman. She has so many qualities I would like to develop. Soooo many. We also share a common love: browned butter. And, we talk too much when we're together. Sometimes we get into trouble for it.

I want to be like this woman someday, too. Gayleen is an awesome mom to her 4 boys! She was awesome in Primary, and now she is the ward Relief Society President.  She is always wearing great jewelry!
This is Brian Bergmann. He is one of the greatest guys I know.....and he's married to one of the greatest ladies I know: Kelly

Amy telling us all a story. Notice Maryam in the background stirring at the stove! She's always working while the rest of us are goofing off-- or talking!

Kathleen-- one of the sweetest ladies I know and a mother of TWINS!

This is Natasha. This is the party-planner extraordinaire! We have been to many fun parties planned by this lady! She also would give you the shirt off her back. Really, she would. And she has an awesome toilet in her basement that is ready for use.

Shar the photographer!! This lady is the photog queen! She is amazing and has a quality we call "Shar-magic". The pictures that we had taken this year were taken by this fabulous lady! She is mom to Olivia and Owen who are great friends to McKay and Makenna. We have had many a fun night out with Shar and her hubby laughing the night away.

This is Cindy. I've learned a lot from this lady! She helped me feel better about moving to San Antonio. Her husband is retired military. Every time I talked to her about moving I felt so much better!

Joy is one of the sweetest ladies I know and when she does something, she does it all the way! What a wonderful quality. Brook is also a mother of TWINS and one of my biking friends. She is sweet, giving and kind. She is mom to Elery who is one of Makenna's great friends.

I served in YW with all these ladies. They are some of the greatest and loving women I know. The all are full of faith, compassion and testimony of the gospel. I love them all.

This is Jeremy and Alisha. Some of our greatest friends. Alisha is also a mother of TWINS and I absolutely adore her children. They call me "Camirush." It's all one word. Alisha and I have bonded over twin talk and we both have "gifted" older children. I have learned so much from her and I adore HER! 

These guys are great. I have ran with these guys, biked with these guys, laughed and ate with these guys and they've all helped me out in one way or the other. They are great husbands to their wives who are my greatest friends.

This is the group gathering for a special gift for Brett and I

This is a book that was made for us of pictures submitted by everyone of our time in Saratoga. It is a beautiful book that is on my dresser that I see every night before I go to bed.

A special present for Brett as he was the "doc" in the neighborhood for all these people, and more! And can you tell I love that book!

That wonderful BOOK!

One of my dearest friends, Kelly. We moved to Saratoga around the same time and hit it off from the beginning. Her children are wonderful friends to all my children and some of the best-behaved kids I know. They are such good examples to my children. I love Kelly. She is kind, sweet, giving and fun. We've had many a good camping trip with these guys!

This is Nicole. I was scared of her when we first moved to Saratoga and I went to book club for the first time. She hated the book choice and I was sure she was going to hate mine! I was so happy when she liked the book I chose. Ha! Now she is a great friend. We ran together for a while and have had great talks. Our kids loved going to her house during the summer and reading to her little kids. What a great arrangement!

This is Lesa. She is a gem. This is a biking buddy. This is a 100 mile bike race buddy. This is a Ragnar buddy. This is a complain-about-Ragnar buddy. This is a Powell buddy. This is a boating buddy. This is a talk-about-infertility buddy. This is a talk about parenting buddy. This is a wonderful woman! She is a great mother and wife and a great example to me of faith. I look up to her in many ways.

This is Kara. A dear friend. We didn't exactly hit it off when we first met, but we bonded over a girls trip to Park City (planned by Natasha). She is one of the most giving, loving people I know. She is a very sweet person who doesn't really know how great she is! I am so glad to know her!

This is Fred and Marilyn. Some of the most wonderful people ever and our next door neighbors! How blessed we feel to have these guys as our very next door neighbors. I served with Marilyn in the RS presidency and came to love her so much. She is so loving and kind to everyone and would do anything for anybody. I served with Fred on the HOA board and I was amazed at his knowledge and ideas. He was such a great leader. These guys were also some of my kids best friends. When we'd have cake and ice cream for their birthday's, they would want these guys to come over. It was the best. They were also the twins primary teachers and just so wonderful to them! Knowing them has been such a blessing to our family.

These guys are great people. I already talked about Shar and Rich and how fabulous they are, so now to Fred and Maryam. Fred and Maryam are some of our greatest friends ever. We have memory after memory after memory with these two and their four cute girls. Wether it's Dr. Laura, naked mole rats, the Tabernacle Choir concert, a High Note dinner, splitting garlic from Costco, me carrying (cooking) wine down the street,  Maryam carrying Ava down the street while she was choking, Maryam as a witch for Halloween, the girls movie night, cotton candy, science fair with the older kids, taking off Tessa's toenail, the 4th of July BBQ and neighbors getting injured at said BBQ, teddy bear man, meeting Nie-Nie at a bakery....the list could go on and on. Our memories with the Chaney's are filled with good food and laughter....and maybe the occasional injury! Fred and Maryam are some of the most giving people I have ever met. I cannot count the times they helped my family and I, especially through these last few years of school. So generous!  It would be too hard to number the times. We have spent many a night laughing the hours away with these two. Maryam is the best cook I know. She has taught me so many wonderful things about cooking and she introduced me to browned butter. :o) I love this woman. She is funny, kind, compassionate, humble, giving, faithful, smart and I could go on and on. I am so grateful that we have a wonderful friendship. We cant wait till they come and see us here.

The "Other" Kami. :o) This girl is fun. She is spunky. She is faithful. She is the bishop's wife and added 2 sweet baby boys to her already 3 boys while her husband was the bishop! She is amazing! Our kids love playing together. I am so grateful for her example.

This is Shellee. She is amazing. She is another biking buddy-- a 100 mile biking buddy. She is also a Ragnar buddy, but she never complained! She is fast, Fast, FAST!!!!! She is like a robot--  never gets tired! She is one of the sweetest, most caring people I know and always is crafting something cute! She is creative and has a great sense of style. She is deaf, but doesn't let that define her or stop her. She recently taught a free, neighborhood sign-language class which McKay and I took together and loved. I have learned so much from this woman and I love her. 
I guess the hardest thing about leaving Saratoga was leaving the wonderful people. I was surrounded by fabulous, wonderful human beings. They say that the best way to become a better person is to surround yourself with people who you want to be like. I was blessed to live in a place where there are many, many people to look up to and emulate. I learned from them every day. I am so thankful I was able to call Saratoga Springs home.

Love to you all!

5 comments:

Mark and Colette said...

I moved a lot as a child and I got to where I hated the goodbye. I have lived in my current home for 21 yrs and I have seen many come and go. They are all chapters of our lives. Some are sweeter then others. This looks like a very happy chapter. We have many of those in our life as well. You are one of our chapters. We hope to have more with you over the years. Love ya

Shar said...

So sweet--and what a fun night that was. You guys deserve it (we were just talking yesterday about you guys and how missed you are!). Save some time for us when you come visit!

Shar said...

So sweet--and what a fun night that was. You guys deserve it (we were just talking yesterday about you guys and how missed you are!). Save some time for us when you come visit!

Amy said...

This post says so much about who you are Cami. All of these fantastic, wonderful, talented people are YOUR friends. We miss you so much. This was a wonderful post. Nice work.



Now I'm gonna go cry in my browned butter.

Amy said...

This post says so much about who you are Cami. All of these fantastic, wonderful, talented people are YOUR friends. We miss you so much. This was a wonderful post. Nice work.



Now I'm gonna go cry in my browned butter.