McKay's first Pinewood Derby.
We got the block of wood in the box from his scout leader the day before Brett left for Officer's training. The derby was to be held the day Brett returned. But we were saddened to learn that Brett's flight didn't come in until 10pm that night! He would miss the derby...
Alas, the timing gave McKay only one day to design his car.
And more importantly, Brett one day to cut the thing.
Well, McKay drew a design. I wish I saved that paper. It consisted of "a little cut off the back and a little bit more cut off the front."
That was it. McKay said the detail would come in the paint job.
Ok. Well, easy for Brett. It took 2 cuts, then it was done.
Imagine our surprise when Brett called to tell us he arranged an earlier flight and could make it to the race! We were all thrilled!
| Father and son, just in time for the derby. |
| Waiting for his number to get called! |
HE WAS ECSTATIC.
I was shocked!
No fancy weights or bells and whistles; no competitive wheel grease or anything like that. Just two cuts with a saw and some markers!
This boy was thrilled.
| Connor took this-- here he is being presented the trophy! |
| The trophy! |
8 comments:
Way to go McKay!!!
So glad that Brett made it in the nick of time!! What a great kid that McKay is. . .he will always get first prize in my book. Very handsome in his cub scout shirt! Always nice to know someone can win without all the 'extras', just plain old fun, hope and faith! Way to go, McKay!
YAY! So so so proud!
YAY! SO so so proud!
Thanks! I needed that like story as I am a scout leader and sometimes feel a bit unappreciated. McKay is AWESOME. I am so happy he won something. Go McKay. Love ya
So awesome!! Go Mickey!!
Congratulations, Mickey!!!!! We are so proud of you! Aunt Maureen and I wish we could have been there to give you a big hug! Vinny says, Arfff!, too!
Happy Birthday to Cami!!!!! You dont' look a day over 37 ... er, oops, I mean 29! Feliz Cumpleanos! We love you!
thats awesome! we love the pinewood derby! none of our boys have ever placed, and I know it's competitive and they are sometimes a little dissapointed, but I too remind them that it's all about having fun and good sportsmanship. Good job mckay!
Post a Comment