
Well, guess what? I volunteered to be a coach for the city "Jr. Jazz" basketball league. They really needed people to help out and I thought, "Hey, I've never done that before. It might be fun." So, I decided to do it. They assigned me to a team of 6 and 7 year olds with 3 girls. I was really excited about the girls. But, once our first practice came around I thought, "What did I get myself into???" I had no clue what I was going to do. So, I decided that for the first practice we'd just meet eachother and I'd let them play around a little bit and then do some running, and drills. Stuff I remembered from playing back in high school. No sweat, right? Well, little did I know that when all the parents dropped off their kids for practice, they would also STAY THERE! I had a wholel bunch of parents sitting there, watching me, waiting to critique my coaching skills...or lack thereof. Anyway, I totally had to pull stuff out of no where to fill up the 60 minutes of practice time. It went ok. But after we had our first game, that Saturday, I realized how much more we needed to work on. So, by our next practice, I had a plan. And it was totally fun. We did tons of running, and I run with the kids, they love to race me. And I also did challenges. If they could do X amount of perfect passing then I would do 2 laps of sprinting around the gym, or I'd have to do 25 sit-ups. It was really fun. So, I am having fun. Even though it's an extra 2 hours out of my already busy enough week, it's been fun and worth it. I hope the kids are having fun and getting a sense that hard work pays off and a sense of self-worth.
5 comments:
I'm impressed!
You are incredible!
You are so creative! What a fun coach! Hey, I tagged you on my blog...go there for details!
At least you are having fun with it. I know how hard this can be. I have been helping out with 20 kids from 2nd-5th grade and it is hard work! Some of them have never touched a ball before. I am sure you are so good and patient with them!
Hi Cami,
Thanks for your comment on my blog. It's good to hear from you. That's fun your are a coach! Are you still running a lot? I cant wait to start to get into running again. I want to do the half marathon in April in Salt Lake. I hope I will be ready for it! Blake is doing good, he's such a good baby! He sleeps really good at night too. Im anxious to start coming to our ward. I feel so out it! I went to sacrament this morning at the 10:30 ward, it was weird sitting all by myself. It will be nice to come to church with Rich and the kids in a few weeks. Talk to you later! - Teri
Post a Comment