Many of you out there may not think that this would be a good Valentine's Day present. You may be saying, "A mixer? How could her husband get her a mixer for Valentines?" Well, let me just tell you, I WAS THRILLED!!!! I've had my own wheat grinder for a few years now and I've loved having it. I've been able to make a lot of things with it, but not much bread. You see, most the bread recipes I've inherited or been passed along don't just make 1 or 2 loaves. They make 5 or 6 loaves! I only have beaters, people. I have a hand mixer. That's it. There is no way I was going to try those recipes by hand. You may ask, "Well, why not try to scale down the recipe to make 1 or 2 loaves?" I've tried that too, and once you start getting into fractions and decimals with measuring cups, it just doesn't work. I've had a few attempts at this and the outcome was not desirable.....
So, I've been wanting some type of mixer for a while....but since we've been feverishly working on getting out of debt we could not justify the expense.
I had to wait.
Well, the waiting was worth it!!!! Here is my new beauty of a mixer:

Yesterday I made bread! I made 5 loaves of 100% whole wheat bread. I ground the wheat in my own wheat grinder and I mixed it all up in my new Bosch! I made it and it turned out so good! I was so excited! I think I was smiling all day!
Here is the recipe I used. It's from a good friend, Sandy who shard her bread making talents and an enrichment night during the summer.
2/3 Cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. salt
3 T. instant yeast
2/3 cup honey
6 cups hot water
6 cups whole wheat flour to start, plus approx. 8 cups
Mix oil, honey, salt and water. Add 6 cups flour. Mix, then add yeast. Mix in rest of flour, one cup at a time until the desired consistency. Use kneader attachment and knead for 6 minutes, or knead by hand for about 10-12 minutes. (I just let my dough mix around in my Bosch for about 8 minutes). Let rise until double. Punch down. Let rest for 1 minute, Shape and put into pans. Bake for 10 minutes at 400*. Lower temp to 325 for 20 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on racks.
**My favorite loaf that I made yesterday was a variation that Sandy suggested at her class. I rolled the bread dough out, spread a little olive oil across the surface of the dough. I then added dried rosemary, garlic and basil. Then you roll up the loaf and bake it just like normal. It turned out SO YUMMY!!!! Seriously, it tasted like a loaf from Great Harvest. SUPER, super good!!!
6 comments:
I am impressed Cami. You're like the little red hen over there. I bet that was some fantastic bread. Wait to go.
Way to go that is:)
Bosch is the best. I can't wait to have one some day! My mom is the queen bread maker if you ever have questions. BTW I sure miss you!!
Awesome! I love my mixer too, although I haven't made bread (other than zucchini and banana). I'll have to try your recipe! Hope you are feeling better and recovering well from your surgery!
I guess great minds with great names think alike...I was just going to say you are just like the little red hen! It sounds soooo yummy...promise I won't be like the cat or dog in the story and beg for some even though I didn't do the work....although I would like a little smackerel of a taste!!
Thanks for the recipe, I'm excited to try it!
Post a Comment