Saturday, February 14, 2009

Shoulder Surgery

Yes, I had shoulder surgery.

Monday morning.


And I'm in a lot of pain.

It hurts. But, I'm ok.

I had to have this same surgery on my right shoulder in 2005. In 2003 I started feeling some weird pain in my shoulder. It didn't come from an injury, it just started one day. It would come and go and I would only feel it while doing certain things, or by lifting weights a certain way. I put it off for about a year and then the pain got practically unbearable. I could barely pick up my kids and it was interfering with my sleep at night. I did about 1 year of physical therapy and ultrasound therapy, with no results. I also had 4 cortisone shots that would last about 4 weeks, and then wear off. Finally, they referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon and he took x-rays. I had problems. A 'hooked' acromium bone, 'pistoning' (think pistons in a car) by my humerus bone and a partial tear in my rotator cuff. After all that trying to fix it alternatively, the only solution was surgery.


It was a hard time to have surgery. Brett was in school full time working for his master's degree; he was also working full time with AirMed. I had a 5 year old and 2 year old twins and was also the Relief Society president in my ward. Needless to say, we were busy! But, we did it and I'm so glad we did. Recovery was hard, but worth it. I had full range of motion in about 4 weeks, but then had to build up my strength over time. About 1 year later, I felt like I was as close to 100% as I would ever get. I can do practically everything I could do before and best of all, there is no pain!


About 6 months ago I started feeling the exact, same pain in my left shoulder. I thought to myself, "Oh no. Here is comes. This is it. It's the same thing." I put it off for a while, and it just kept getting worse. I decided that I better go in to see if my suspicions were correct. Sure enough, it was the same thing. The dr. said it was up to me as to when we could do the surgery. He said he felt the sooner the better, because why put myself through more pain than I needed to, and also, I could be more ready for the summer running/triathlon season if I did it now. So, on the way home, Brett and I talked and decided that now was the time. We prayed about it and felt good about our decision. So, this Monday, I had it done. I am so thankful for modern medicine and technology. I have 3 small incisions around my shoulder area. The proceedure consists of shaving off the 'hooked' part of my acromium bone, fixing the enflamed bursa, tightening the ligaments so to fix the 'pistoning' of my humerus and sewing the partial tear in my rotator cuff. I had great care. My dr. is fabulous and the nurses were great. My anesthesiologist whipped up a 'magic potion' for me and I DID NOT THROW UP AT ALL!!! (For those of you who know my history, you know this is a major feat!)


Anyway, I am ok. My family and ward are taking great care of me. Thank you to all who have helped me and for keeping us in your prayers. Last night was a really hard night, but today I'm feeling better. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds so tough. I'm thinking about you & hope that you recuperate soon.

jamirodana said...

Oh Cami. I'm sorry you have had to go through this. I'm having issues with my right hand/wrist but not as bad. At least my cortizone shots are lasting me about 8 months.
I hope you heal well and quickly.
I used to work on patients like you in a P.T. office in Provo.

Jessica said...

I remember when you had your first surgery, but I didn't realize how painful it was before you got it. I am glad you were able to find the problems twice and get them worked out. I hope your recovery is swift and relatively painless.

The Cobells said...

I'm glad you will be feeling better soon. I miss Utah! I hope we will be back there some day. Take care so you can have a great summer.

Carrick family said...

OUch! That sounds really painful! Call me if you need help with kids! I am serious! Hope you feel better soon!

karen said...

I hope you are feeling better! (I'm glad you didn't throw up!!!)

Natalie in Sparks said...

Wow, Cami, I didn't even know about the first surgery! You always have a good attitude and I am glad that the surgery went fine. I had my first surgery in Oct. and it is not fun to recover. But I am glad you are being taken care of. Iwould take care of you if I lived closer! Remember to not over do it, even when you start feeling better. I will keep you in my prayers.

Amy said...

WOW........I can't believe you!!! I hope you are doing ok. I wish I was closer to help. Good thing you have an awesome hubby and mom near by. Let's do a cousin get together as soon as you are better!!!!

Summers Family said...

Get better soon! I am so glad you are now in perfect condition - right?!

BECKY said...

My gosh, you poor thing.... again. I remember the last one! I wish I lived closer so I could help. I'm glad you decided to do it... hang in there!

HrncirikHome said...

Another surgery! Yikes! I hope that things are becoming a little easier. I've had tendinitis in both my arms since I was a teenager, but the pain is nothing compared to what you have gone through. I wish I could be there to take care of you and bring you your favorite treat!

Sure love you Cami,
Rachelle