How could we refuse? We talked to the kids about
it and they decided that they wanted Disneyland for Christmas! So, we decided to do it. Our trip there was the most RIDICULOUS trip to California we've ever driven. We stayed the night on Saturday at Kim's grandma's house in Mesquite. We woke up the next morning, ready to go to early church and then were planning on leaving right then. As we walked to our car after the meeting, we noticed our front tire looked a little flat and upon closer examination, noticed a nail in the tire. So, we drove over to Wally-World to fix it up. We drove up, dropped off the car, told the guys in the shop the problem and then proceeded to the waiting room.
One of the mechanics came in and said, "We need your keys." I said, "Oh, the keys are in the car."He said, "Well, the doors are locked."
Silence.
"Uuuuhhhh, are you sure?" I asked. "Did you check the other side?" He had. Sure enough, our keys were locked in our car. Lucky for us, I had just by chance (truly a tender mercy) grabbed my set of keys. So, in my purse, I had a spare set. My purse was still at Kim's grandma's, so my brother had to bring them to us.

Little did we know that this would set us back just enough and we would not see beautiful CA for some time. $100 later our new tire was on and the car was ready to go. We got a quick lunch at Grandma Diane's and headed out. The drive to Vegas was smooth and uneventful. Somehow (in the midst of all our excitement) we forgot about the traffic going home to CA from Vegas every Sunday afternoon. I know. How could we forget? That is the one thing Dad drills into our minds every time we go down there. Anyway, right outside Vegas. The traffic started. It was horrendous. It was worse than we've ever seen. It
took us 3 hours to get from Vegas to the little city of Jean. From Jean to Primm (where that big Roller Coaster ride is) which is only 13 miles, took us 1 HOUR! I am not exaggerating. It was insane! In Primm, there were lines a mile long to fill up on gas and to go to the bathroom. We decided to go ahead, but then I saw a frontage road off to the south of the freeway. I convinced Brett to take it. I should have known, because a lot of my ideas for short cuts end up being 'long cuts.' We drove on that road for about 3 miles and then came to a sign that read, "Road Closed Ahead." It was a sick feeling. So, we had to turn around and get back on
the freeway which was moving at a snail's pace! After Primm, it took us 7 HOURS to get to LA. NOT FUN!!! But, if you ask the kids, they had a blast. We listened to books on CD and watched a whole bunch of movies. Thank goodness for that! After getting to Newport, we were all in heaven. That place is divine. We loved the place we stayed. It was just perfect and right by the ocean. We spent Monday, Wednesday and Friday at Disneyland. The weather was cool, but not too cool for us. Southern Californians went home because they were too cold, but we enjoyed the mid 50's to lower 60* temps while it was in the single digits back home. We enjoyed very short lines and
took us 3 hours to get from Vegas to the little city of Jean. From Jean to Primm (where that big Roller Coaster ride is) which is only 13 miles, took us 1 HOUR! I am not exaggerating. It was insane! In Primm, there were lines a mile long to fill up on gas and to go to the bathroom. We decided to go ahead, but then I saw a frontage road off to the south of the freeway. I convinced Brett to take it. I should have known, because a lot of my ideas for short cuts end up being 'long cuts.' We drove on that road for about 3 miles and then came to a sign that read, "Road Closed Ahead." It was a sick feeling. So, we had to turn around and get back on
getting to do everything we wanted to more than once in those two days. It was our best experience at Disney yet! But, every trip has to include a bad mood by either mom or dad, and this trip happened to be Brett's turn. Even though this picture is hideous of me, I just had to include it because it shows the kind of sour mood Brett was in. I am a free spirit when it comes to amusement parks. I sort of become a kid again, running to and from different lines to see which one is bigger or smaller leaving everyone in a trail behind me....wondering what I'm doing....which may or may not be annoying to other responsible adults. And Brett is the sometimes paranoid, over-protective parent who freaks out about almost everything and by being so concerned, puts a damper on the trip.
Well, this was one of those moments. I was trying to "lighten the mood" while we were riding "Winnie the Pooh" and Brett would have nothing to do with it! We all have those times, don't we? I just had to document it! I'm so grateful that Brett loves me despite my childish tendencies to be . Well, that day Brett found relief in an early ride home. After a long, exhausting day with Wyatt, Mark and Kim decided to go home early. Brett jumped at the chance to join them and he got to go home with Wyatt to go to bed. We missed him, but I knew he felt better and so we just decided to enjoy the night! Another great thing about Friday was that my brother Tyler and his new wife Ashley got to join us. It was a fabulous time! We stayed at Disneyland until about midnight! The kids were troopers! What a blast!
| Beautiful California |
| Brett and I being goofs |
| Beautiful Sunset! |
| All the cousins at sunset-- right outside our place |
| Right outside our window. BEAUTIFUL!!!! Thanks, Mark and Kim!!!! We had an AWESOME time! You guys are the best!!! |
4 comments:
Glad you made it through another memorable trip! And so grateful your family and Marks' family enjoy being together so much! Love you all!
Amazing trip story!!! thanks for sharing your story! Love Disneyland and newport beach!! So fun! Glad you guys to go away and enjoy it!! Cute pictures of you guys!
How much fun is that...not the driving part, but awesome when you got there!!!
what a fun time! thats funny, we went to disneyland just about 2 weeks after you! that was our early Christmas too! I don't think we even mentioned that when we got together for lunch that we were both going!
Sorry about the traffic and tire and all that. Traffic can be soooo bad around those places, it makes you never want to complain about Salt lake (or for me Reno) traffic. We hit the LA traffic on a Tues evening about an hour outside of Anaheim and it took us about 2 1/2 hours from there to arrive. Bad, but nothing like the traffic you had to face.
ps I love the contrast in the picture of your super happy face and Bretts cranky face!
Post a Comment