Friday, August 31, 2012

Adieu to Summer!

Summer brought a new hobby for Brett!

ROAD BIKING!!!! Something I've been trying to get him to do for about 6 years, now!!!

He is a natural. This was after our first ride.



Our friends invited us out to Canyon Lake on their boat. We had a great time. I tried to pull a "Dan" (my dad) and hold on to the tube as long as I could no matter what. I did it for a good, long while. Mostly because the guy who was pulling me was being nice to begin with. But once he figured out what I was doing, he kicked it into high-gear and was trying to flip me. I held on, but got flipped pretty quick and landed on my back with my head first-- going with the momentum of the pull. I hurt my neck pretty good, but it was tons of fun. My neck still doesn't feel the same. Now I know why my dad gave up that practice a few years ago....


Even though my teeth look yellow and I have black, mascara eyes, this picture still makes my heart happy
Brett learning to drive the boat!
At the end of the summer, we decided it was time for another trip to the beach. We went with our good friends the Stephens and the Millers.

Look at the beautiful day we had!!!!
Something I learned about my friend, Cindi. She goes all out when she does something-- especially food! I could not believe the spread she brought to the beach! We were eating gourmet food at the beach! It was awesome. We had our measly snacks and foods we travel with, but Cindi insisted, and fed us all. We were very well taken care of!

Another thing I learned about Cindi and Chris is that they are very giving....with no thought of anything in return. Reminds me of one of my best friends, Maryam.

Makenna loved this sweet apple dip that Cindi made! She was eating it by the spoonful!! It was delicious!


Makenna and sweet Riley.




Enjoying the awesome water

It was so much fun, except for a horrible thing that happened involving this little boy.....(this was him sleeping on the way to the beach.) The thought of reliving this story has made me cringe, but I realize that someday I will be glad that I wrote it down.



Me and my wonderful, sweet friend, Cindi, were out in the water, enjoying the rolling waves and warm temperature. The kids (Makenna, McKay, and Riley) were all boogie boarding right near us, and would ride the waves in and them come back out to us. We were in water about up to our thighs, so about the kids tummies-- not too deep.  There was a strong wind that day that would blow the boogie boarders east, so we set up parameters: we told the kids they needed to stay between the big, blue umbrella and the big rainbow umbrella. If they got past that, they needed to walk back to where we were.

We were having a blast. The water was just wonderful. After about a half hour of catching waves, McKay said, "I'm getting a rash on my tummy. I'm going to go in and get my rash guard out of the car." I said, "OK." And watched him start to walk to shore.

Cindi and I and the two girls stayed out for around another hour, but during that time, McKay never came back. I just figured he got too tired or distracted by all the yummy food we had at the tent. Brett was up there with the other dads and kids. It was fine. The water was just so pleasant. After that hour, we decided to call it a day-- Cindi had a little baby up with her husband that was getting a little cranky, so we decided it was time.

As we approached our tent, I didn't see McKay. I asked Brett, "Where's McKay?" Brett said, "What do you mean? I thought he was with you?"

At this point my heart absolutely sank.

The worst feeling in the world.

I started to panic a little, but told myself to calm down. Maybe he was in the car??? He went to get his rash guard and fell asleep for a nap inside the car???? It was a long shot, but I ran up there.

No McKay.

Then I ran back and asked Brett, "When did you last see him?" Brett replied that  he hadn't seen him since we had gone out to boogie board.

Then I panicked.

In a matter of seconds, all sorts of scenarios ran through my mind: What had happened to him (either he was kidnapped or had drowned); where he was (being held hostage, washed away at sea; washed up on the beach); what he was feeling (sheer terror, panic, sadness, helplessness); how our lives would be without him (absolutely, utterly, bitterly empty).



I started to cry. I ran down the beach. I ran up the beach. I pleaded with God not to let him be dead or kidnapped. I begged him to let McKay be safe. Connor was trying to console me. Brett sprinted in every direction, trying to see if anyone had seen McKay. My friend, Cindi, waved down a guy in a golf cart. She asked him if he wouldn't mind driving us around to see if we could see or find him. Brett and Cindi's husband, Chris, took off with him. Before hopping on the golf cart, Brett sank to his knees and pleaded with God to help us find our sweet boy and to bless him with comfort. He said he felt a wave of peace wash over him and then he jumped into the golf cart.

All the while, I was not feeling peace. I was freaking out. I was paralyzed by my fear. I didn't know what to do. I had ran every direction within about a mile and no McKay anywhere. I felt helpless. I didn't know how to find my boy.

Cindi called 911. She gave the police his description. Soon, she was yelling at me, "IT'S OK!!!! THEY HAVE MCKAY! HE IS SAFE."

I ran over to her and grabbed the phone. They did have McKay. He had gotten lost walking back to our tent. They had had him in custody for about 1 hour. I was so relieved, but felt like the worst mom in the whole, wide world.

In about 10 minutes, the police brought my sweet, smiling, blonde boy back to me. I cried tears of joy and relief as I silently thanked Heavenly Father for keeping him safe. I smothered him with hugs and kisses and couldn't let go of him. I was so thankful he was there. With me. Alive. Happy.

Brett came shortly after and we all rejoiced. I was so grateful to have good friends there to help me through it and that McKay was safe. I cant imagine having to go through losing a child. It would be the absolute worst thing to have to endure. I don't know why my McKay was spared, and some are not, but it made me have more empathy for those who suffer from any loss.

It also made me want to cherish each day and moment I have with my sweet children and husband.



6 comments:

Mama Bell said...

Even thought it makes me cry to read it and think about it again, I am glad you wrote it down and will have that tale to tell in your family. Lots of memories made this summer, and one of the greatest will be that your prayers were answered and McKay was found safe!

Shanna Payne said...

So awesome! I love seeing all those pictures! Miss you guys

Andrea Holley said...

Cami! That story. Oh, my. I'm so glad everything turned out well. I love you and miss you tons!

Colette said...

WOW what an amazing story. I k now the feeling. We lost Raquel one day at home and couldn't find her anywhere for an hour. I was crazy looking all over the neighborhood for her. we called all over and were just about to report her missing when we found her in her room a sleep between the wall and her bed. She didn't even know we were looking for her. I had all the same feelings you had.
ON a lighter side Texas looks good on you. Looks like you have good friends and the kids are fitting in well. You and Brett look happy. See soon in SLC. Careful traveling.

Amy said...

I'm so sorry for that terrible scare. That McKay is one of the sweetest boys I've ever known. You guys look like you are really loving the beach! Miss you much and we'll see you soon!!!! Asher is counting down the days. :)

Shar said...

Life would definitely not be the same without Mickey. Glad he is okay and that you guys are having a blast in TX! Fun seeing these pictures!