
My dear, sweet Papa passed away last week on July 20, 2009. His passing comes only 6 months after my sweet grandmother died in January. He died peacefully, in his sleep. We traveled out to California last week for his funeral. It was at his Baptist church, where he had attended for more than 40 years. His funeral was very, very nice...a beautiful service. He had sung in the choir in his church for 40 years. I'm sure that is where my love of singing in a choir comes from. His pastor who had known him for 35 years said that he was the last suit-wearing member of his congregation.
None of the men pictured here are my grandfather, but I thought this was a great picture of the plane he flew in WWII-- a B-25 bomber named, "Miss Mitchell".
Here is Makenna playing "Peas, Porridge, Hot" with Papa. Every single one of the grand kids new this little hand-game....a sort of patty-cake. All of the great-grand kids know it, too.
Here is little Jaxson with Papa. Jaxson is named after Papa's family.

Here we are with Papa the last time we saw him alive in May. He was frail, but still very sharp and wanted to talk a lot about his life. We learned of his tour of Egypt and Paris when he was in the Air Force. We talked about his siblings and my dad when he was a kid. It was a wonderful visit, but I saw how much he missed my grandma. He was in the hospital when she passed away and he was not well enough to attend her funeral. It was so sad. Then, he was moved from the hospital to a home close to my Aunt in Ventura-- about 1 1/2 hours from his home. So he didn't get to say good-bye to anyone. It was very hard on him. I know now that he is reunited with my grandmother and that he is learning in the Spirit World. I am so thankful for the plan of Salvation, for the gospel that unites families. I am so thankful to have had 4 grandparents in my life to love me and support me and be my biggest fans. I realize how uncommon that is and count myself very blessed to have such great influences in my life. We will miss them, but know where they are and that we will see them again!
3 comments:
What a sweet tribute to your grandpa. I too have been blessed with both sets of grandparents in my life. Both of my grandpa's health is failing them now, and who knows how much longer we will have them here on earth. Makes me sad, but at the same time I do know that they will be in a better place. I too have a grandpa that has not accepted the gospel here yet, but I know he will in the Spirit world just like your grandpa. What a beautiful and wonderful gospel that we have!!
Sounds like an amazing man. Maybe it's just me, but I think Conner looks just like him!
I've never seen it before, but in these pictures in particular you look a lot like your beautiful mother! lucky girl!!
Post a Comment