Monday, July 13, 2009

Words of a Prophet

President Boyd K. Packer was recently honored the Freedom Award for serving God and Country throughout his life by America's Freedom Festival. During his acceptance speech, he said, "What you are doing in this freedom foundation is worth doing." He then told a story about the day the men who signed the Constitution, were individually signing it. During the Constitutional Convention, President George Washington was sitting in a high-back chair that had a picture of a rising sun on the back. Benjamin Franklin said that he had been looking at the sun all during the convention. He said he was never sure if it was a rising sun or a setting sun. But, as the men came forward one by one to sign the document, Franklin said that day he had the confidence to know it was a rising sun. Then, President Packer said"

"Now 12 wars later and all that has gone on, that sun is now obscured," President Packer said. "We know that war can't destroy it, but if it is destroyed it will be from within. And now we face a danger greater than any of the wars we have faced. To honor the Constitution and to honor freedom is a sacred duty for all of us. "

"I invoke the blessing on you who are doing this sacred work that you will keep it up, and that in due time the challenges that we face now from within can be conquered so that this nation may remain free."

I want to hear from you. I want to know what President Packer said means to you.

6 comments:

Trisha said...

Cami-
I love President Boyd K. Packer. In fact, a really funny story. President Packer and my Grandpa grew up together in Brigham city, Utah. One day out of the blue, my Grandma gets a phone call and it's President Packer calling telling her how he had been thinking of her and my Grandpa a lot. He also wanted to know if they had done the temple work for my Grandpa's parents who had been deceased for quite some time. My Grandma informed him that the work had not been done yet, and then President Packer goes on to tell them that the work had to be done, and how he had been inspired at the temple about this. Anyway, Kevin and I were the ones who were able to go and do the work for my Great-grandparents, and it was a such a special experience, and to be inspired by a great leader of the church was amazing. President Packer is such a great man.

Spring said...

I find this subject a difficult one sometimes. To be perfectly honest, I hate our political system. It is corrupt. I am so disgusted with both sides of the aisle. This comment brought to my mind a talk by M. Russell Ballard given at the Freedom Festival in 1992. He quoted a lot of the founding fathers, and also Pres. Lincoln. Abraham Lincoln responded to a question about which side God was on during the Civil War with this profound insight: “I am not at all concerned about that, for I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord’s side.” I honestly don't believe either "side" is right at the moment. Our church's official stance is neutral. But our country has so much eliminated God, that few are truly being guided in the way we should be. So for myself, I get involved where I feel I should, praying for individual inspiration along the way.

Lisa said...

I just caught up on your blog - I'm jealous of your trip to Boston! I hope Chris has a conference there soon too! And, I loved your Women's Conference talk - thank you for sharing it on your blog.

Troop 442 said...

Spring! Well said. Very well said. I agree whole heartedly with your words. I don't think one political party is the 'right' side. I think the side I choose is the side that agrees with God's law most. And that is neither side right now. Maybe it's time for a new party that represents our values and feelings more?? Who knows. Thank you for your comment!

Trisha- what a neat story!! Awesome! What a cool thing!

Jessica said...

I agree also with you Spring. Which is why I do not claim either political party. The one says one thing and the other says the opposite. Its a song and dance and I have seen now that they try and get us to talk parties so that we ignore the real issues. I now will no longer talk parties and politics, but will discuss issues. That is how we get away from the corruption. I also feel that this nation is on a downward spiral, but I am grateful to know that there are so many people now who are waking up to it. Even people I know who used to be nearly asleep to the issues at present are now able to see for the first time where we are headed. It is an encouraging thought that more and more people wake up. I gave a talk in my ward about the 12th article of faith and I spoke about the Constitution and quotes from Joseph Smith and I was so very impressed that so many ward members told me they knew what I was feeling. It is nice to know that I am not alone.

Stacy and Mike said...

We need a new party period!