Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Quinoa Salad

Have you heard of this little grain? It's called Quinoa; pronounced keen-wah. I've known about it for years and have been cooking with it for a while now. It is super healthy and it by itself contains 14 grams of protein! This salad was a cool, refreshing dinner on a hot summer day, and very easy to make. I added a cucumber and some edamame and omitted the vile weed called cilantro. I hope you will try it.

Kenna helped me make the salad and took a huge serving for herself! All the kids loved it!


Yum!

Quinoa Salad

1/2 cup uncooked Quinoa
1 cup water or broth
1 cup diced red peppers
1 cup frozen corn, partially cooked
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 cucumber

1 cup cooked edamame seeds
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
juice and zest of one lime
1/4 tsp. cumin
3 Tbsp. olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Rinse quinoa well under water.  Add quinoa to 1 cup water or broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 min. or until tender.  Chill in the refrigerator.  Add peppers, corn and cilantro.  Whisk lime juice, zest, cumin and oil and pour over the top.  Mix.


8 comments:

Lyss said...

Vile weed called Cilantro???????? What!? you are nuts cam! But looks good and refreshing. I might have to try it!

K.C. said...

Why do you hate cilantro?

The Poulson's said...

YES I AGREE WITH DISGUSTING CILANTRO..It tastes fishy to me! I totally want to try this! Where do you buy Quinoa??

crush said...

I just despise the taste. It's too strong. Fishy, hmmmm.....not sure about that, but totally not a fan! Anyway, Jani-- you can buy quinoa anywhere-- but most likely a health food store. Do you have a WinCo by you? It's the best price and quality there. XOXO

Alyssa said...

We LOVE Quinoa! Never had it is a chilled salad..and I LOVE the fact that you called cilantro a vile weed! Ditto!!

Shar said...

Oh, I love that your kids love healthy things. They need to eat dinner at my house every night so mine will catch on. Do I have quinoa? Yes. Have I used it? No. So, now I have a recipe to do so. . .

Carrick family said...

I will have to try it for sure!!! It looks so yummy!

Mark and Colette said...

Loved the salad thanks for sharing it. Love cilantro!!