Wednesday, September 24, 2008

One of the FUNNEST days of my life!

Well, you might not believe me, but last Saturday was seriously one of the best days of my life! Brett took me to the BYU game! I was in 7th heaven! You have to understand that BYU games are very nostalgic for me. I grew up going to BYU Football games with my dear Grandpa Harmon. Sometimes, Grandma would even come with us. He had season tickets for many, many years. I have some wonderful memories going to these games with him. This is how I learned everything I know today, about football. We'd take a big, brown paper sack full of homemade popcorn, a bag of licorice, apples and sometimes the loud and out-spoken Uncle Rob would come with us. (I think when Grandpa brought the kids along, those were usually the weeks that Uncle Rob stayed home). Anyway, we had the same seats every year; south-west end zone, 1/2 way up. Sometimes in the afternoon, the sun would get level with and then just below the top west wall of the stadium and that was very nice: instant shade! We sat behind the same, nice couple for a lot of years. The man was always wearing a blue, suede cowboy hat with all sorts of BYU pins all over it. I have very fond memories of going to BYU games with my grandpa. I learned all the fight songs, all the cheers, and learned what a lateral pass and a safety is. I got to see Ty Detmer play and some other greats.

Well, you can see that I heart BYU games! And I haven't been to one for years....at least 12 years, probably more. And I never thought that I would be going to one any time soon. Tickets are a pretty penny these days and my dear, sweet hubby isn't much of a football fan, and likes to pretend he's not a BYU fan. (Remember, we're U of U alumni.....) He came home one day and said, "Guess what I have? I have 2 tickets to the BYU game!" I was seriously so incredibly excited! I think the excitement level surprised Brett, even. The thing that makes this so sweet is that Brett doesn't really enjoy football. He doesn't enjoy watching football. Oh sure, he's always up for a game on Thanksgiving, but that's it. Brett is not competitive and has never really been into sports at all.....ever. (I know what you're thinking, exactly the opposite of me and my family.) It meant so much to me that Brett would do this for me and include himself in it! He knew that he was the one I wanted to go with. And he did. He came. He cheered. He sang. We had a blast together! Last minute, something came up for Brett that I'm sure he would have rather done, but he knew how big a deal this was for me and we had a FABULOUS day!!!

Thanks, honey! I love you!

By the way, it was an AWESOME game! BYU's 2nd straight shut-out! Go COUGARS!

6 comments:

Whit said...

I love reading your posts about all the cute things that you and Brett do together. It's so nice to hear you have such a good fun relationship! I think it's so important to do stuff like that with your spouse, your an excellent example to me. I'm so glad you had fun!

Whit

Teri said...

That does sound like a fun day! That was sweet of Brett.

Amz said...

What a great day! One you won't be forgetting any time soon, I'm sure! Glad you could go!

Joy said...

U of U alumni and cheering for BYU? Tsk tsk.

Stacy and Mike said...

Cami,
That is so sweet. I am more like your husband when it comes to football (any sport) and hearing you talk about the good memories makes me want to get into it with my kids and create some of those memories with them. What a sweet hubby you have.

Stacy and Mike said...

I must agree with joy and jeff though U of U cherring for BYU tsk tsk. :)