I know; nothing unusual. But this time, we were on a mission.
We wanted to make Christmas different this year. We were all in the car together, along with my mother in law, and we decided that instead of giving eachother gifts for Christmas, we wanted to spend that money on a service project for someone in need. Not only did we want to do a service, but we wanted to involve our children. We wanted them to feel the joy that comes from giving and serving someone else. We wanted them to learn that Christmas is more than just getting gifts. And we wanted it to be as hands-on for them as possible.
This idea came a few months ago. We talked about a whole slew of ideas, and nothing really happened for a while. I found myself getting nervous that we were going to miss the boat because we (I) had procrasiand too long. But then, my great SIL Cherry, found out about a school in Provo, that is a Title 1 school. This means that 75% of their kids live at or below the poverty level. This school was short on everything. They were running out of all school supplies.
So, we decided to adopt a class from the 2nd grade. We wanted to gather as many school supplies as we could for them. We would take the money that we would normally spend on a Christmas present and put it towards buying school supplies.
There were also 5 kids that did not and would not have coats this season. Each of our families received the gender and size of a child who would not have a coat and bought one for them. We found a really cute puffy trench coat for a little girl. We hope she likes it!
Back to the school supplies idea. It was a great idea, but how to involve the kids more? Just going to the store and buying stuff didn't seem like enough. I wanted them to be invested enough that they could feel how much these kids needed and how happiness and joy comes from thinking of others, not ourselves.
So, we decided to type up a letter and send it around to our friends and neighbors. I emailed to some of my friends, while the kids went door to door to some of our close neighbors and friends. Connor, McKay and Makenna also had the idea to ask their teachers if they could have a donation box in their classrooms and ask the parents of their classmates to donate to another school in need, if they could. The kids helped me type up a letter to send home with their classmates.
We got a huge response!
We have such great friends and neighbors! Each day the kids would come home and tell me, "Mom, so-and-so brought in this, and our box is almost full!" Connor's teacher from last year also participated in the project and let us put a box in her room, too. As each day went on, the kids were more and more excited. Connor would remind his class every day to remind their parents to send in their donations. He really took ownership in this project.
By the time all was said and done, we got enough donations, that not only did we have enough to supply one 2nd grade class; we supplied the whole, entire 2nd grade! That is 85 kids, total! We had so many supplies; we were exstatic!
By the time of assembling the kits, we had enough for each kid to have:
- 2 Notebooks
- 5 pencils
- 2 glue sticks
- 1 pack 24 crayons
- 1 box of colored pencils
- 1 pencil sharpener
- 1 pair of scissors

These are the supplies we started out with. One problem we had is that the gallon sized zip lock bags were not going to be big enough to hold 2 regular sized notebooks. So, what kind of bags to put them in? We didn't want to do just a grocery sack from a store with the name plastered on the front. That seemed a little tacky. Then, Cherry came up with the idea to use Target bags. I thought this was brilliant! No name across the front, and the Target bulls-eye looks a little Christmas-y.....red and white......right? Now, where to get the bags? I had a couple in my cupboard.....but they were all smashed and wrinkled. I decided to call Target and they donated 85 of their plastic bags to us.
Thanks, Target!

In one of the donation boxes in the kids' classrooms, someone had given 2 pencil pouches from the restaurant, Sweet Tomatoes. This pouch included a pencil, a ruler, an eraser, stickers and tomato tattoos. It was pretty cute. We wished that all the kids could have a pencil pouch, but at at least $1/ pouch we were talking a minimun $85 more dollars. So, I called Sweet Tomatoes and asked them about these pouches. Was it a special promo? Were they still offering the pouches? The guy asked how many we needed and I told him....."Um, 83." He said, "Sure, we'll have them ready by tomorrow morning." I was speechless and shocked! They were so willing to give!
Here are the kids packing up the kits. They were so excited to finally be putting these together. You can see how excited they are to be with their cousins and to be packing things up. The fruits of their labors were beginning to be seen.
Here we are a Spring Creek Elementary. This is all the stuff we ended up with! 85 kits for 85 kids. 4 huge wicker baskets full of stuff for teachers, 20 pair of mittens donated by the Activity Day girls in my ward and 30 scarves also donated by the activity day girls. The little cousins are holding bags of candy canes to pass out to the kids. They were so excited!
Here are the kids, passing out the kits.
Some of the sweet kids, opening their kits. One little girl said, "Am I dreaming???" Another girl said, "I've never had colored pencils of my own!!! Thanks!"
It was so touching! They were so grateful.
Here are all our kids, with one of the classes.
As we left, one class gathered in the hallway and sang, "We Wish You a Merry Christmas."
Here are all the proud cousins after a job well done. Both Cherry and I felt like we didn't even need anything for Christmas. Our hearts were already full.
17 comments:
What an awesome idea! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
This story made me cry. What an incredible idea. I told Riley the day before Christmas that I wished we had done something more to help the kids understand the gift of giving. What a wonderful thing that your family did.
Wow, I'm so glad your service project turned out so well! I'm sure your kids will always remember this experience.
Cami, this is so neat! What a great oppurtunity you took to teach your kids about giving to others who are in need. You've inspired me to do a better job! Thanks!
That's amazing Cam! What a great way to celebrate the Savior's birth!
That is so awesome! We have actually had friends who's family does the same thing every year. Pool their money into service projects. What a great family memory and wonderful for your kids to be able to see those they served. Keep up the wonderful service!
THis is sooo awesome!! What a memory you guys will always remember. You guys are a good example to all of us!!! This is a neat story!
totally inspiring.
Cami, you are amazing. I would have never even thought that one family could make a difference. I am so proud to call you my cousin. I just wished I could have been there to help and involve my kids as well. It's a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing!
love you!
Oh that is a sweet story. You did a great job of getting the kids involved. Good job mom!!
Love ya Mark and Colette
I need your email will you eamil me at ckremin@ubtanet.com
Thanks Colette
So fabulous! Your kids will remember this forever! We talked about favorite Christmas's at Aaron's parents' this year and our brother in law remembered the service project his family did one year the best, and it was his favorite. What an awesome memory for your kiddos, and awesome that you could help that school!
What an awesome project and on overwhelming response. How neat!
That's awesome Cami! what a neat idea, and I am sure you made the kids and teacher's day!
We like to focus on serving at Christmas too, and although we have never done as big of project as that, us and each of our kids does a "gift to Jesus" service project. This year two of them decided to donate some of their clothes and toys to the women's shelter and the family shelter. we actually brought it down and they got to see the people and the shelter and learn about it. It was very humbling and we talked about it together. There is no better way to teach your kids than to have them be involved, as you did with yours too. You are an awesome mom!
Wow Cami, that is so great! Your kids are so excited in those pictures they look ready to burst. What a great way to teach them how to give meaningfully - thanks for being such an example!
WAY, WAY COOL! What a great idea and wonderful ways to implement it! You kids will always remember that. I am sure you all felt sooo wonderful inside!! Awesome! :)
awesome idea!! I love it! Thanks for the inspiration to do something meaningful!
Post a Comment