Saturday, March 22, 2008

Mount Vernon

Mount Vernon is a beautiful place! It's no wonder that George Washington loved it here and said, "There is no other piece of land more perfectly situated than home on Mount Vernon, overlooking the Potomac River." When George Washington lived here, Mount Vernon was an 8,000-acre plantation divided into five farms. Each farm was a complete unit, with its own overseers, work force of slaves, livestock, equipment, and buildings. Now, the estate is 500 acres and is owned and maintained by the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association. Why the Ladies' Association, you might wonder? So did I. After Washington's death in 1799 , plantation ownership passed through a series of descendants who lacked either the will or the means to maintain the property. After trying unsuccessfully for five years to restore the estate, John Augustine Washington offered it for sale in 1848. The Commonwealth of Virginia and United States governments declined to buy the home and estate.
In 1858, the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association acquired the mansion and a portion of the land from Washington's great-grandnephew, John A. Washington, Jr., rescuing it from a state of disrepair and neglect. They paid the final installment of the purchase price of $200,000. The estate served as neutral ground for both sides during the American Civil War, although fighting raged across the nearby countryside.

We took a little 'cruise' out on the Potomac River to get a look at the estate from that view. 500 acres is so large! I can't quite wrap my mind around 8,000 acres! All the surrounding areas now have been preserved so no one can come in to develop any of the land as to keep it looking as it did in George Washington's day.

This is a fort off the Potomac that is on the estate. It was built, but never used because of the stats it boasts. At the top, the walls are 12 feet thick. At the bottom, they're 25 feet thick! Every few feet there are 3 windows that were made for shooting, but were never used. Now it's a national park!
George Washington and Martha Washington's tombs

Going to Mount Vernon really, really helped my appreciation for George Washington grow. He was an incredible man and a fearless, selfless, moral leader. He relied on God and loved his country and his family. Did you know that he married Martha, a widow, and adopted her 2 children and treated them as his own? Also, you know his wooden teeth that we always hear about? Well, guess what? They're not made of wood! George Washington's dentures are made from hippopotamus and human teeth! Weird! Mr. Washington had dental problems all his life, despite his best efforts to care for his teeth. In his early 20's he had a horrible toothache and had to have 1 tooth removed. Almost every year after that, he had to have 1 tooth removed, each year! Finally, he had no teeth and needed dentures. They made those and the had 2 springs in the back holding the top and bottom pieces together-- and they were set to be open all the time. He had to clamp his teeth down to get them to close! Talk about uncomfortable!

Anyway, I love and respect George Washington for all he did for our country and our freedom. What an incredible man. I want to be more like him. I feel blessed to have been able to find out more about him and now want to know more!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I can't believe how much you did on this trip. What an amazing experience!!! And, you document it so well. You will always have great memories this way. I have learned so much through your pictures......:)

Andrea Holley said...

I read the book 1776 a few months ago and learned a lot about George Washington. I think he was a really great man for so many reasons. It's a good book - a little dry because the writing isn't particularly compelling but it's a great history lesson.

Maren said...

Wow, this trip you took sounds amazing! I'm so envious! I agree, George Washington was a great man. That is very interesting about his teeth. If you ever get the time you should try reading 1776, you come to appreciate George Washington so much more after reading it.