This is a funny story about riding The Met. The Metro is the subway system in Washington D.C. It is so nice and convenient, once you get what you're doing and where you're going. By the end of our trip, we were pro's at it, but by then our knowledge was useless. Anyway, our first night in D.C., we went to eat at the Cheesecake factory. Of course, I had a doggy-bag because their portions are so dang huge. So, we're sitting down on a bench, waiting for our train to come, it's pretty late and we're down there practically by ourselves. I have my doggy-bag on the bench, about 2 feet away from me. All of a sudden, a loud voice comes over the P.A. System. The voice says, "Excuse me...is that YOUR bag?" Long pause........This pause lasts for about 2-3 seconds. During this time, thoughts race through my head: Is he talking to ME? How can he see me? Where is the camera? How long has he been watching? Is my bag taking up too much space? I know I'm hogging the bench with it, but there's no one else here.......How do I answer him? Do I just answer back loudly?" Timidly, I answered, "Yyyeeesssss." The voice then went on to say: "If you see a bag that is unattended in the met, feel free to ask any person near the bag, "Excuse me, is that your bag?" This will help the Met in it's efforts to remain safe and normal citizens can help detect suspicious packages by asking this simple question. Thank you for your support and cooperation." It was totally a recording and I totally thought he was talking to me!!!! Everyone got a kick out of that and of course, I didn't live it down the whole rest of the trip. It became 'the story' to tell everyone we happened to meet. I'm glad I could provide everyone with a laugh!
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Riding the "Met"
This is a funny story about riding The Met. The Metro is the subway system in Washington D.C. It is so nice and convenient, once you get what you're doing and where you're going. By the end of our trip, we were pro's at it, but by then our knowledge was useless. Anyway, our first night in D.C., we went to eat at the Cheesecake factory. Of course, I had a doggy-bag because their portions are so dang huge. So, we're sitting down on a bench, waiting for our train to come, it's pretty late and we're down there practically by ourselves. I have my doggy-bag on the bench, about 2 feet away from me. All of a sudden, a loud voice comes over the P.A. System. The voice says, "Excuse me...is that YOUR bag?" Long pause........This pause lasts for about 2-3 seconds. During this time, thoughts race through my head: Is he talking to ME? How can he see me? Where is the camera? How long has he been watching? Is my bag taking up too much space? I know I'm hogging the bench with it, but there's no one else here.......How do I answer him? Do I just answer back loudly?" Timidly, I answered, "Yyyeeesssss." The voice then went on to say: "If you see a bag that is unattended in the met, feel free to ask any person near the bag, "Excuse me, is that your bag?" This will help the Met in it's efforts to remain safe and normal citizens can help detect suspicious packages by asking this simple question. Thank you for your support and cooperation." It was totally a recording and I totally thought he was talking to me!!!! Everyone got a kick out of that and of course, I didn't live it down the whole rest of the trip. It became 'the story' to tell everyone we happened to meet. I'm glad I could provide everyone with a laugh!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
O.K. I laughed even reading the post! That was great thanks for the memory!
Ashlee
So funny! I think what is the funniest is that I can see myself doing the same thing. I love D.C., Jaycee and I had an opportunity to go see it few years back. We didn't even see a speck of what is there. I think that it is so wonderful that you and Brett could go together.
Julie
Do want to hear something crazy. Last night I was just going through your list of names and I randomly clicked on one. Then anthoer from theirs I found a long lost friend. They used to be our neighbors like 8 years ago. Cool huh!
Post a Comment