Sunday, March 16, 2008

Visiting the Harmon's

*WARNING: LOTS OF PICS AND BLOGGING AHEAD. SCROLL DOWN TO GET THEM ALL*

On Sunday, Brett and Jason had classes ALL DAY! Can you believe that? Sunday was their busiest day of all the days! So Ashlee and I decided to be adventerous. I have an aunt and uncle that live in Deleware and Deleware is only 2 hours away from Washington D.C. So, what the heck, we decided to go for a little drive! This worked out great (other than the fact that Brett didn't get to come with) becuase Neil, my uncle (my mom's little brother) plays the organ and is the Director of Music, for his profession, for a church called Grace United Methodist Church. This Sunday was Palm Sunday, so they had a huge program to perform today, which Neil was in charge of. First of all, can I just say that the church was just beautiful? It was built in the 1870's and was lined with original Tiffany stained-glass windows. It was just breath-taking. As you walked in, the greeter handed each person a palm leaf. Then church began. It was very different from our church, but very interesting. One thing they did that I really liked is that they have a 'friendshipping time' where everyone stands up and greets and talks to the people next to them. I met a lot of great people doing that. Then, the program began. It was beautiful. The music were choices from Handel's "Messiah". Their choir was awesome! I later found out that 8 members of the choir (2 for each part) were paid professionals that either belong to the church or just do that for their job! Could you imagine our ward choirs if we did that? Anyway, after church at Grace Church, we attended Neil and Anese's ward. Anese is the R.S. President (with 5 little kids) and Neil has at least 4 callings! There is so much need for them in that ward! But, there sure was a sweet spirit there and relief society was just awesome. There were 10 investigators visiting that Sunday! And there was a baptism right after church, too! Isn't that great. It inspired me to be a better missionary. I loved the diversity and I realized that all wards have diversity whether it is age, color, job status, whatever. We all have different experiences and a different story to share. Isn't it wonderful?

Here I am with Neil, Anese and their cute little family. Can you see that little boy attached to my side? His name is Gordon, and we have the same bithdate. This automatically made us best friends! He would not let me out of his site and wanted to hold my hand all day. It was sure cute and it made me miss my little ones! After both churches, we went to Neil's home where we were served some wonderful homemade, wholewheat bread! Ashlee and I both gobbled up 2 pieces because we were starved and then insisted on having a copy of the recipe! About 1 hour later we had a wonderful dinner and a YUMMY dessert! Anese is one of the best cooks I know! Then the family shared their musical talents with us, which was fun. And then it was time to take the 2 hour trip back to Washington D.C. Oh, one thing I forgot to mention: TOLLS!!!! We were shocked to see how much tolls were on the way out to Delaware. Neil warned us, but I couldn't believe it when 3 toll booths cost us $11.00! On the way back, I think it only cost us $6.00. Anyway, I'm grateful that I can get around without having to pay any tolls-- for now.

2 comments:

Andrea Holley said...

I can get most places I want to go without paying tolls but sometimes you just can't avoid them! I didn't expect that before we moved here. They can really add up.

I'm glad you got to see such a charming old church building - they are all over in the east. So fun to see.

Brianne said...

Wow, your trip sounds so much fun! It sounds like you guys learned a lot. And how nice of your parents to watch the kids at such a busy time for them. Love family!