The other day we were driving along in the car and Connor said, "Mom, not to be rude, but when you and dad bought this car, was it all you could afford?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing from my 8 year old! I said, "What do you mean?" And he said, "Well, I really want a car where I can like lay down and stretch out my legs." (Never-you-mind that this boy has the whole back seat of the van to him self and has plenty space back there). I said, "Well, cars weren't really made for laying down in. We usually just sit in cars." I was trying to talk logic with him now. I asked, "So, where DO we lay down?" He replied, "Our beds, maybe a couch." I said, "That's right, not usually cars. If you have a motor home, you can lay down in the bed that is IN the motor home." Then, wanting to defend our family van and our purchase, I started naming all the really cool things our van has and then I stopped myself. Even if our van was falling apart, the paint job rusty, and just an all out clunker, but still got us from point A to point B, I would want him to be grateful for a car. Grateful for a vehicle. Grateful that we can come and go as we please in comfort!
I am thankful for my van and I hope my kids are learning to be grateful for the many blessings we have that we so often take for granted.
8 comments:
I am sure Cami that your gratitude is a great example to your children and they will remember that about you when they are older.
It made me laugh that he was diplomatic about it and said, "not to be rude...." Kids can be so honest. Don't tell him that Scott spent his kid-dom laying down and taking up the whole back seat everytime his family took trips. Of course that was before seat belts were vogue and enforced by law. I am glad you have a vehicle that comfortably fits your whole family and still gets from here to there! ;)
This weeekend was so much fun! I seriously am sad we don't see more of eachother! Your kids are so cute! Your such a great mom! Have a good day and call me when you want to get together
Well if it means anything I think your van is fabulous! You are right gotta be grateful for what we have, isn't that what God was trying to tell us at Conference.
Ha! I love how we live with mini-adults. I love your awesome van and remember it fondly in the Village parking lot. Though, I have to admit, he does have a point - it would be great to stretch out and lay down on those long trips! Not safe, but comfy! :)
Your message is so true. We have to remember to be thankful for the things that we have in our life, the things that run well, and carry around our families safely.
Our last trip up to Salt Lake I was exhausted and kids were so tired but couldn't sleep in their upright positions and let's just say it was a little noisy. I had the same thought that Conner did... why can't they make cars that will keep us safe while we lay down and catch up on some ZZZZZ's during commutes. Not to be rude (or ungrateful) but really... we need that!
What a great story! Our van is a '97, we were married in '98, and didn't have kids til '04! So we have an oldie, have paid more in repairs now that what we paid for the van, but we are GRATEFUL for that ride! ;)We are definitely not as 'cool' as some, but we can take our kids where we need to safely, and everyone fits! And our kids will also know to be thankful for that!
Post a Comment