Friday, October 24, 2008

Green Tomatoes

Ever wonder what to do with green tomatoes from your garden? Well, I have the solution for you....I have a few solutions for you. These have been tried and they seriously are so good.

So good, that they have already been eaten and are gone.

I have no pictures for your viewing pleasure. Sorry.

But, here are the recipes. First,

Delicious Green Tomato Bread

3 eggs
1 C. oil
2 C. sugar
2 C. Green Tomato Puree (small amount of water if needed)
1 T Vanilla
3 C. Flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 C. chopped walnuts (optional)- I didn't add
1 C. raisins (optional)- I did add

Mix eggs, oil, and sugar. Add green tomato puree and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together and add to other ingredients. Add nuts and /or raisins if desired. Grease and Flour two 9x5 loaf pans. Divide batter evenly and pour into pans. Bake at 350° for 45-60 minutes.

This makes a very pleasant sweet bread that has a mild citrus-like "tang" to it. We especially liked it topped with our raspberry/peach jam. Great way to use those green tomatoes!!! No, the loaf doesn't end up green...it's a lovely golden yellow. Two spoons way up!

Fried Green Tomatoes

1 lb green tomatoes (4 medium)
3 Tbs flour
3 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbs sugar *
2 tsp (or so) salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 egg
2 Tbs water
1 1/4 cups bread crumbs
*If less tart tomato flavor is desired, sprinkle slices lightly with a little extra sugar.

Combine flour, cheese, sugar, salt and pepper, set aside. Beat egg and water, set aside. Cut tomatoes in 1/4 inch slices. Dip green tomato slice in flour mixture to coat both sides. Dip in egg, then into bread crumbs to coat thoroughly. Allow slices to dry slightly while heating enough oil to cover bottom of frying pan. Fry until browned, turning once.

Not the healthiest of treats, but SO GOOD!! You have to have these at least once a season!

Let me know if you try these. Trust me on the bread! It's worth it!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

I wish I would have had these recipes 3 days ago. We had a ton of tomatoes, but they were all green, so we tossed them, thinking they were bad, now I feel really bad!

Amz said...

You are kidding me! I have never heard of making bread out of them! Sounds interestingly good!

Joy said...

Darn it! I wish I would've saved my tomatoes now. I will definitely save these for next year. What a useful post!

Oh wise one said...

Hey, if you want I have a great recipe for green tomato jam! and no it doesn't taste like tomatoes...