Saturday, July 14, 2012

I am old.

I am the mother of a 12 year old.

Yes, Connor is twelve.

I can hardly believe it myself.

Connor's birthday was filled with the same present he has been getting for years: BOOKS! This kid loves to read anything and everything. I will have to say, however, that he is pretty particular about offensive material. Even if it's a popular book, he wont read it if he feels it crosses the line. I think that is pretty admirable for a twelve year old.

With one of his many books

The haul!! 

We LOVE Connor!

A new watch for his birthday, too!
Connor decided that he wanted to do something fun and exciting for his birthday. He picked going to visit the beach in the Gulf of Mexico.

We visited Corpus Christi.

Look at how big my BABY is! He is so handsome and such a good boy. He really is growing into a good, young man

We decided that if we wanted to make it a real party, we had to have friends and family there, too. Since all our family is far, far away, we invited our great friends that we love: the Leatham's and the Terry's.

We couldn't believe how absolutely warm the water was. It almost felt like a bath. The only ocean we've ever been in as a family is the Pacific. That water is always cold, no matter what time of year it is. This was completely different-- so warm!

This is Jane Leatham and Makenna. They are the same age and get along very well. They are happy to have each other as friends.

This is cute little miss Aiden. She was just learning how to boogie board on this little thing, and then Brett taught her how to use the real one! She was a natural at it!

Here is Bron Leatham and Bronson, boogie boarding

Aiden and Brett

Mickey playing in the water

Here is Lezlie with cute little Addie

This is a side shot of Wendy Leatham. I'm so glad to have her as a friend. She is awesome and someone I knew I wanted to get to know the second I heard her talking!

All the kids!

Family 2012
In most of Connor's short life, we've been preparing him for a very special part of turning 12. When he turned 12, he would have the opportunity to receive the Aaronic Priesthood. My 12 year old son would be holding the Priesthood-- the very power of God on the earth today. Connor has been preparing for a long time and would be worthy to receive this Priesthood.  

I am so grateful for Connor and his loving heart; his example of forgiveness and willingness to try again. He is a good young man and I am proud to be his mother. 

Father and Son after the ordinance

Since we left to come back home to Utah two days after Connor's birthday, we decided to do Connor's ordaintion there, where all our family would be able to participate. It was a special and wonderful blessing. The spirit was strong and gratitude filled my heart to see all those men, who also hold the priesthood, and who love Connor, there to participate in the ordination.

One thing that has really struck me since Connor has received the priesthood is the importance of deacons in our church. These young boys pass and administer the sacrament.  They play such an important part in our renewal of our covenants, in our being able to be clean through the ordinance of the sacrament and the proper renewal of our covenants. Tears fill my eyes each time I see Connor perform this special duty and service. I will never look at a deacon the same again. 

The first time Connor passed the sacrament was in our old ward in Saratoga Springs. Connor was just sitting with us as normal, and his best friend, Asher, came up to him and asked him if he wanted to pass. Connor wanted to, but was very nervous because he had never done it before and it was never explained to him. And with love and understanding, Asher sat down by him, pulled out a chart and explained and showed him the ropes. It was a tender moment for me as a mom. Seeing this friend, and a deacon himself, watch out and care for his friend and give assistance where needed. That is the priesthood in it's purest form. After that little instruction, Connor felt like he could do it, and he did great!

Connor with a lot of wonderful men who love him and support him. My dad is hiding behind my grandpa!

There's my dad!

Connor and his wonderful cousin, Brandon

2 comments:

Mama Bell said...

Connor is such a great kid! I have been proud to be his grandma for over 12 years!! Love you all!

Amy said...

We love Connor. He is such a wonderful boy. So happy you guys came for a visit and our boys could share that awesome moment together. I know the value of a good friend, and I'm so grateful these boys have each other.