The kids continuing their piano studies after we moved to Texas was a pretty big deal to both Brett and I. Before we moved, I did a little bit of research to try to find a Suzuki Piano teacher out here and I had a few leads.
After we moved, I talked more and more with these teachers. We wanted to try to find a teacher who was pretty "pure" to the Suzuki method. We narrowed it down to two.
We went to observe the first teacher and Brett and I could hardly keep a straight face. The guy was a prima-donna. We wondered if he was just showing off to us, or if he was like that all the time. Plus, he was SUPER expensive and seemed to know very little about Suzuki. I do feel a bit bad for the teachers we observed and talked to, however. They are all being compared to my mom who has taught Suzuki for almost 30 years!!! Plus, she is my mom, and the kids grandma. No one, really, could compare to her!
The second teacher we had decided on was completely full and had no sight of openings in the near future.
So, out of desperation, we decided to try to Skype piano lessons with grandma. What a great idea, right? The kids were super happy with this idea and couldn't wait to try it out!! We thought we would do this until we found a teacher that was suitable for our needs.
Well, fast forward 5 months, and Skyping with Grandma for piano lessons is gong GREAT! We see her every week, for sure and the kids love being able to "see" her and talk to her. It really is the best of both worlds!
The kids were progressing, so we needed to have a recital. We invited our friends the Leatham's and the Blake's from our ward.
Here is Sis. Blake with the twins. She has become the surrogate grandmother out here for the children. She is the sweetest lady and has just made us feel so at home and welcomed here. We love her and her husband!
The kids performed very well. Onward and upward!!! Horray for Skype. 5 years ago, we couldn't do this and I am so grateful for technology!!!
2 comments:
I look forward to every Tues! ;)
What a FANTASTIC idea! I live in a small town where we don't have a lot of options for piano teachers and they don't always have openings. So FUN!!
Post a Comment