Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Dave Ramsey

Brett and I had the wonderful opportunity to go see this guy:



If you have not heard of Dave Ramsey, you need to discover who he is. He is incredible! We first heard about Dave while listening to him on the radio. He is on 570 KNRS from 7-10 pm . I know, I know, it's an AM station, but really, that is what I listen to these days. FM radio has too many commercials and I have to save the music on my ipod for running days, or else I get tired of it-- so AM gets my attention. Anyway, we LOVE Dave Ramsey! We listened to him for a while and then read his book, "The Total Money Makeover," and we caught the bug to be debt free! Dave's philosophy makes so much sense and is so do-able. The total money makeover consists of 7 steps-- Dave calls them baby steps, like from the movie"What About Bob." We started the program in January. Since January we have paid off about $20,000 and by the end of this summer, we'll have paid off about $30,000! The cool thing is, is that he uses a lot of principles from the pamphlet the church published way back when, "One For the Money." He also uses a lot of scriptures from the Bible. His philosophy: "If you live like no one else, you can live like no one else." Meaning: if you give up things that everyone else is doing now like new furniture, finishing basements, newer, bigger cars, remodeling, boats, vacations, clothes, electronics, going out to eat all the time, blowing the budget, charging things just to get the 'benefits' etc., etc., etc.(and no offense to those who might be doing those things now. Trust me, we'll be doing some of those things when we can pay cash.) So, if you give up all those things now, later, you can do whatever you want with your money. I am so excited and just feel so in control of our finances now, which I am ashamed to say, I haven't felt our whole marriage. Isn't that horrible? My parents taught me well, but it seems I prefer to make the mistakes myself and then learn the lesson. I guess some things just have to be learned that way. In a few months we will be totally debt free, except for the house! No payments except the house! If you want to learn more about Dave, his philosophy and the "Total Money Makeover" click here.

We went along with our fabulous family, Natalie and Dave. We had a wonderful time and we were so motivated! Thanks for going with us guys!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I am so jealous you got to go. I really wanted to go, but couldn't find anyone to go with. (JP had to work). I should have known you 2 were into him. Good for you guys. My goal is to call him and scream "We're debt free!!!!" by 2010. I love his program!!!!

Andrea Holley said...

Good for you! That is really awesome. We would have been debt free after paying off the newly-acquired student loans except that we just bought a house. I never knew grown-up life was so expensive!

Katie said...

Love him! Good for you guys and I'm so jealous you got to see him live!