Well, you just have to know Brett. He is a vivid dreamer. He jumps in his sleep. He talks in his sleep. He thinks he sees things. So I just said, "I'm sure it was part of your dream. Just go back to bed." So, we did.
About 15 minutes later, he sits up in bed and says, "I felt it again! And I heard it go behind our bed!!!" I was thinking, "What in the world kind of dream was this?" I got up and turned the light on and said, "Ok. Let's look behind the bed and then we'll be able to go back to sleep." All along thinking in my mind, that it was nothing.
So Brett looks behind the bed. Nothing. I move my night-stand and what do you know, out runs a mouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, a mouse.
I freaked out.
He ran into our closet. Brett slammed the door shut and we stuffed the crack under the door with an old towel so he couldn't get out.
Brett looks at me and says with fire in his eyes, "Babe, you have two choices: Either you can go in the closet with the mouse with the door closed. After you're in, I'll take the towel away and you can scare him out and he'll be forced to run out under the door. Then, I'll smash him with my tennis racket."
Uh......silence.......crickets chirping...........
"Or, you can be the one on the other side of the door, waiting to smash him with this tennis racket. But, you can't afford to be soft."
Uh.......silence.........crickets chirping..........
I say, "Uhhhhhhhh........Neither?????? I can't do either of those things. Be shut in a 2x3 space- knowing there is a mouse in that same 2x3 space? NO WAY!!!! There has to be more choices than that.
There were no other choices.
So, Brett, being the kind, sweet husband he is didn't make me choose. He went into the closet with his tennis racket, with the mouse. I stuffed the towel under the door so the mouse couldn't get out. Brett starts fishing around in there and soon I hear the racket banging against the walls and shoes flying all over the place. Keep in mind our closet is very small. It's a "walk-in", probably 2 x 3. Anyway, he yells out, "I can't get a full swing and he isn't afraid of me! He just ran across my foot!!!"
Clearly, this plan wasn't going to work. So, while the mouse was hiding in there somewhere, Brett ran out, slammed the door, and I offered my little offering of stuffing the towel under the door. We sat there for a minute and then I said. "I can go in the closet with the mouse. I can rummage around for him. Then when he comes out, you can whack him. But I don't want the door closed." Ladies, can I just tell you......at this moment I was more scared than I have been in a long time. Brett says to me, "Ok, if you're going to do this, you have to stay in there. If you see the mouse, you can't come running out because you'll either plow me over or get in my way when it's time to whack him." Before I went in, I put on shoes and socks. I tucked my jammie pants into my socks so the mouse couldn't run up my pant leg. Then, I went in, broom in hand. I rummaged around for a few minutes. Nothing. I start taking clothes off the bottom rack. The blasted mouse is no where to be seen. I start throwing shoes out. Still no sign of him. At this point the floor of our closet is completely empty with the exception of my handy shoe rack (which I think my dad ordered off an infomercial back in the 90's. I inherited it from him when I went to college. I just can't get rid of it. It really does a good job) and a few flip-flops.
The clock says 5:15 am.
This is my mouse-catcher gear. Brett made me post this picture. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
So the next day we made a decision. After a few months of finding mouse droppings in our pantry and utensil drawers and having to sanitize our whole kitchen twice, we now are the proud owner of:
A Cat!!! Can you believe it? I have never really been a cat person, but we fell in love with ours the moment we saw her. Her name is Tiggs. We got her from the Humane Society for $10. She's already spayed and has her shots. She is the sweetest, most cuddly cat. More so than any cat I've known. When I come home she wants me to pet her and jumps into my lap for a scratch. If I stop scratching her, she nuzzles my hand until I pet her. She is seriously so sweet! If I would have known that we would love her this much and that she would be this much fun, I would have got her a long time ago!
Now lets hope the mice STAY AWAY!!!!!
18 comments:
Nice! We don't have trouble with mice here...just roaches. 3-4 inch sewer roaches that come in through the drains...try having one of those crawl across your face while you sleep!!! It'll keep you awake for days!!
Glad you caught your mouse!
LOL!!!! I'm sorry you had to go through that, but what a story! Wow! You are a brave brave woman.
Ok, Aaron and I are totally laughing! With you, of course, not at you...
Cami, you are way braver then me! I would have left Rich on his own to kill the mouse.
By the way, as we were walking home from church Connor told us the story then said, "I can't wait to get home. I have a cat waiting for me to cuddle him". I think he's happy.
That is TOO FUNNY! I loved that story. I could picture it, "Babe this and babe that"- swinging the racket, the cold sweats as you're stuffed in the closet with your pants tucked in your socks. Thanks for sharing Cami. Cute cat.
Oh My Gosh!! I dont think I have ever laughed so hard...thank you for the comic relief!
Oh my Cami, you had me in tears! That is such a funny story and I love the mouse catching gear!!! We had a mouse a few months back and they are horrid little things. I wasn't as ambitious as the two of you and just sent Zack off to buy mouse traps which eventually caught the mouse but sounds like you two had fun chasing the little guy! Thanks for sharing such a humorous story.
That is hilarious! You are way brave! Can't wait to see you tomorrow!
Wow... totally laughed out loud a bunch of times while reading that. So funny and I can totally picture it all!
That is a great story now that the mouse is out of the picture right? Same thing a few years ago in our house and all the kids woke up and were wondering what all the banging and screaming was. We didnt get our until the next morning, we found it behid the fridge and then Jared got the broom and smashed it and the kids all cried. I think we need a cat....hmmmm
That is the funniest post ever! I can't believe you had a mouse in your BED!!! Yeah, our house had had a mouse issue in its past that we had to clean up in the pantry. We went and ordered Riddex since our friends used it and never got a mouse again, so if you still have trouble even with your feline friend, give it a try. We haven't had a mouse yet, even though they have made it into this house before.
Rob and I laugh thanks!! We had something like that happen to us too. Glad he is out.
Awesome story, but I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I would never get back in my bed again. Yuck, I hate mice.
Oh my gosh!! I can't believe this story! I really enjoyed reading and couldn't believe how much you both went through trying to catch it and get rid of it!!! So funny!
That's an awesome story. You are very brave! I am laughing out loud and I'm sitting here all by myself. Way to go!
Oh my goodness! my eyes are watering from laughing so hard! I heard the story related through Mike, but hearing it first hand was way, way better! I loved that you posted that picture of you in your mouse-attacking get-up! THAT was awesome! And your room! I am sure while you were putting it back together you were so glad that you had gotten that rascal...can you imagine if your room looked like that and you HADN'T gotten him?!! Awesome story! Glad you recorded it and Tiggs is so cute!
I didn't mean to laugh at your pain but that was so funny. We had a mouse in 1527 and Sara wanted to keep it. She named him Squeakers. Maintenance tried those glue traps and they didn't work. Right before they were going to call in an exterminator, Mike put out real traps and Squeakers was no more.
Post a Comment