We got one of these:


And this happened:

Thanks to the Browning's for letting us borrow these bad-boys.
I told Brett he could say, "I told you so."
He's a gentleman and he didn't.
We never had a tramp growing up, but I had plenty of friends who did and we had SO MUCH FUN!!!! I've always talked about getting a tramp for our kids. Brett has always blown the wind out of those sails because of all the accidents he's seen, being in the medical field and all. But, when Brett's brother asked if we wanted the frame from their huge tramp and all we'd have to buy was the mat, I couldn't refuse! Brett reluctantly said, "O-kaa-aay." (Imagine that word being said in 3 syllables along with kind of a "something-bad-is-going-to-happen" tone...or a "you-must-not-love-our-kids-as-much-as-I-do" tone.)
Can you hear it?
Anyway, we got it and set it up. We'd had it all summer and had a TON of fun on it. Connor has even learned to do front flips on it. We've spent a lot of time out there as a family. We've played dodge ball and crack the egg; we've layed on it to count the stars. The kids practically lived out there during the summer with the sprinkler running under it. They loved it!
Then it happened.
We were out jumping for our family night activity. I jumped over by Makenna and tried to 'bounce' her. You know what I mean, right? Give her a little 'boost' to bounce her higher than she can jump on her own. It is such a fun feeling! Anyway, as I was in the act of doing it, she yelled, "NO!!!" I couldn't stop at that point and she totally rolled her ankle. Diagnosed by dad as a true sprain. Check out the damage:

And this was on one of the better-looking days.
I felt horrible as you can imagine. We were all inside consoling Makenna and she looked at me and could tell I felt like a big, fat jerk. She said, "Mommy, don't feel bad. We all make mistakes and we all have accidents." Hearing her say that made my heart melt even more. How did I get such a sweet daughter? In her time of pain and sadness, she was more concerned about how I felt. She is so incredibly thoughtful. Brett wrapped it up and luckily she went to bed and slept all night. We were worried about her waking up from the pain.
The next day she couldn't even stand on her leg. Obviously, she could not go to school. She was pretty upset about this, but knew it wouldn't work. So, when it came time to go, I offered to push her in our little umbrella stroller (totally too small for her) and let her tell her teacher she wouldn't be there and get any homework she needed to do. The boys and I walked to school and when we got to their class, Makenna was bombarded with kids asking her what had happened and hugging her and telling her to get well soon. Then, it was time to go. We said good-bye to McKay and Connor. Then it hit McKay. He said, "How am I going to go to school with out my sister?" He was genuinely worried about this. I told him he would be fine and then I said, "Mickey, no one else gets to have their sister in their class with them. You can be like everyone else today." That seemed to do the trick and he went to class.
As I pushed Makenna home in our too small umbrella stroller, it dawned on me that these twins are both very sweet and thoughtful people. Not only are they sweet and thoughtful, but they have a bond that I don't understand. They don't feel complete without eachother, they feel sort of lost without the other. I should have been a little more empathetic to McKay feeling worried about going to school alone. I don't totally get it, but now I understand better. I feel so blessed to have these twins in my life.
As for the tramp, it's still up and being used every day. We love it. Here's to no more injuries.
10 comments:
Sorry to hear about her ankle. Luckily it wasn't a break! I had the same thing happen to me when I was little. I was jumping on my neighbors tramp and he "popped" me, or "gave me a boost", and when I came back down I landed in the springs and snapped my leg. Not good.
Hope she gets feeling better quick!
Oh gosh!! Sam is just like Brett. I kept asking for tramp for so long time because I grew up with tramp. Sam never had one and think it isn't safe at all! He finally gave in this summer and we got it. Kids were WAY excited!! Oh that is so cute about the twins. OUch! Poor McKenna!! That looks OUCH! Cute pictures!
We have one too, and I really wasn't worried about injuries until now! ;) However, my kids don't need to worry about their mom injuring them because I can't jump on a trampoline without getting the sudden urge to wet my pants!! Yikes, I guess it has something to do with pregnancy and childbirth. Oh the joys of being a woman!
She's all healed up now and no worse for the wear. I will agree, your twins are sweet, kind, and thoughtful. Love them. Having twin nieces I've seen that bond that only twins share. It is special.
Was a little sweetheart. My youngest sister Andrea went flying off the tramp one time and snapped her arm :( There are the inevitable injuries, but tramps are a lot of fun!
First of all, I love that they are called 'tramps' in UT. :) I'm glad Makenna is okay---and hopefully not afraid to get back bouncin'! My kids love jumping with yours--one day we will get something fun in our backyard to lure them over this way, too!
our tramp came with our house, two and a half years and no injuries. touch wood.
my husband however did brake his foot a week ago at a scout campout playing football.
so what should really be avoided here?
Poor girl! She looks pretty cute on those crutches though :).
And I can totally hear Brett's 'okaaaay' in my head!
Get better soon Kenna!
Doesn't is seem like all the 'real' fun have chances of things happening. Just give the one I give: 'We drive cars and they are involved in more accidents than anything else' We had a tramp growing up and my kids have one now....and we've had the best memories created there, along with every bump and bruise. Just wait till they start doing back flips then you'll pass out from holding your breath!
Wow, what a story, Cami! Hope she is healing well! I am soo scared of trampolines. Glad my current backyard is too small for one! ;)
Post a Comment